Logo

Gear case cracked - 1960 Evinrude 40 HP 35520

JT_UP

So, found this crack in the upper part of the gear case today. I assume this is going to let water into the gear case right? Any chance this is repairable?

2022-08-14 17_15_18-Window.png

Might just be the cavity drain that was plugged , water froze and cracked it.----Very common.----Pressure test the gearcase.

What makes you say that? Do you know what it's from?

Webs front & rear, no water bypass, longer exhaust snout. If you remove it from the motor, you should find different water tubes arrangement. Probably 1967 or 1968

EDIT: Upon checking, I may be wrong on the webs. Not sure now when they first appeared. But anyhoo, the other items were changed 1967. Remove and check the water tubes for a definitive answer.

Last edited:
How does the grease look? Whatever you decide, I have a good used one here. Can you rebuild it yourself?

Webs front & rear, no water bypass, longer exhaust snout. If you remove it from the motor, you should find different water tubes arrangement. Probably 1967 or 1968

EDIT: Upon checking, I may be wrong on the webs. Not sure now when they first appeared. But anyhoo, the other items were changed 1967. Remove and check the water tubes for a definitive answer.

ok, i'll remove it and post some pictures. thanks for the info

How does the grease look? Whatever you decide, I have a good used one here. Can you rebuild it yourself?

Below is a pic of the gear lube. I'm not an expert but that does not look good to me. We put new lube in it last year when we took it out of storage.

If you're in Duluth, MN, I'm not too far away (Ashland). Any special tools or anything needed to rebuild it? I have access to the SELOC service manual. Found it at the library.

20220815_190416.jpg

No really special tools are required but once you get it dismantled you can push the shift shaft o ring bushing out with a rod that is slightly larger than the shift shaft itself. On your lower unit I think that bushing will push out from top to bottom. That o-ring is often the problem with water getting in to the lower unit. If you decide to replace that housing I have some here that are already dismantled. I could even install a new o ring for you.

No really special tools are required but once you get it dismantled you can push the shift shaft o ring bushing out with a rod that is slightly larger than the shift shaft itself. On your lower unit I think that bushing will push out from top to bottom. That o-ring is often the problem with water getting in to the lower unit. If you decide to replace that housing I have some here that are already dismantled. I could even install a new o ring for you.

Ok, thank you for the info and the offer, I really appreciate that.

Unfortunately, there is so much on this motor that needs replacing, I think it needs a complete overhaul. This boat and motor stay at our family cabin and is used by my parents and sisters and their families. They want a motor that starts and runs reliably. They seem to be less attached to this motor than I am.

I told them I would check what it would take to have someone professionally rebuild this motor. Anybody know where I could get that done (my location: Northern WI), and a general idea of cost? I assume it's more than the cost of a modern, 40 or 50 HP motor with controls.

Back