Logo
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1

    Default Gear case cracked - 1960 Evinrude 40 HP 35520

    So, found this crack in the upper part of the gear case today. I assume this is going to let water into the gear case right? Any chance this is repairable?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2022-08-14 17_15_18-Window.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	955.6 KB 
ID:	29137

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Duluth Mn
    Posts
    4,917

    Default Re: Gear case cracked - 1960 Evinrude 40 HP 35520

    Yes it's repairable, but it may be too damaged from oxidation anyway. Got more pictures?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Gear case cracked - 1960 Evinrude 40 HP 35520

    here are some more pics. look ok?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220814_175542.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	201.4 KB 
ID:	29138
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220814_175610.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	202.5 KB 
ID:	29139
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220814_175601.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	206.2 KB 
ID:	29140

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,622

    Default Re: Gear case cracked - 1960 Evinrude 40 HP 35520

    Just a FYI, that is not the original gearcase for a 1960.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Gear case cracked - 1960 Evinrude 40 HP 35520

    What makes you say that? Do you know what it's from?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    5,463

    Default Re: Gear case cracked - 1960 Evinrude 40 HP 35520

    Do a pressure and vacuum check on it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    24,383

    Default Re: Gear case cracked - 1960 Evinrude 40 HP 35520

    Might just be the cavity drain that was plugged , water froze and cracked it.----Very common.----Pressure test the gearcase.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,622

    Default Re: Gear case cracked - 1960 Evinrude 40 HP 35520

    Quote Originally Posted by JT_UP View Post
    What makes you say that? Do you know what it's from?
    Webs front & rear, no water bypass, longer exhaust snout. If you remove it from the motor, you should find different water tubes arrangement. Probably 1967 or 1968

    EDIT: Upon checking, I may be wrong on the webs. Not sure now when they first appeared. But anyhoo, the other items were changed 1967. Remove and check the water tubes for a definitive answer.
    Last edited by fdrgator; 08-15-2022 at 10:30 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Duluth Mn
    Posts
    4,917

    Default Re: Gear case cracked - 1960 Evinrude 40 HP 35520

    How does the grease look? Whatever you decide, I have a good used one here. Can you rebuild it yourself?

  10. #10

    Default Re: Gear case cracked - 1960 Evinrude 40 HP 35520

    Quote Originally Posted by fdrgator View Post
    Webs front & rear, no water bypass, longer exhaust snout. If you remove it from the motor, you should find different water tubes arrangement. Probably 1967 or 1968

    EDIT: Upon checking, I may be wrong on the webs. Not sure now when they first appeared. But anyhoo, the other items were changed 1967. Remove and check the water tubes for a definitive answer.
    ok, i'll remove it and post some pictures. thanks for the info

  11. #11

    Default Re: Gear case cracked - 1960 Evinrude 40 HP 35520

    Quote Originally Posted by timguy View Post
    How does the grease look? Whatever you decide, I have a good used one here. Can you rebuild it yourself?
    Below is a pic of the gear lube. I'm not an expert but that does not look good to me. We put new lube in it last year when we took it out of storage.

    If you're in Duluth, MN, I'm not too far away (Ashland). Any special tools or anything needed to rebuild it? I have access to the SELOC service manual. Found it at the library.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220815_190416.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	29141

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Duluth Mn
    Posts
    4,917

    Default Re: Gear case cracked - 1960 Evinrude 40 HP 35520

    No really special tools are required but once you get it dismantled you can push the shift shaft o ring bushing out with a rod that is slightly larger than the shift shaft itself. On your lower unit I think that bushing will push out from top to bottom. That o-ring is often the problem with water getting in to the lower unit. If you decide to replace that housing I have some here that are already dismantled. I could even install a new o ring for you.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Gear case cracked - 1960 Evinrude 40 HP 35520

    Quote Originally Posted by timguy View Post
    No really special tools are required but once you get it dismantled you can push the shift shaft o ring bushing out with a rod that is slightly larger than the shift shaft itself. On your lower unit I think that bushing will push out from top to bottom. That o-ring is often the problem with water getting in to the lower unit. If you decide to replace that housing I have some here that are already dismantled. I could even install a new o ring for you.
    Ok, thank you for the info and the offer, I really appreciate that.

    Unfortunately, there is so much on this motor that needs replacing, I think it needs a complete overhaul. This boat and motor stay at our family cabin and is used by my parents and sisters and their families. They want a motor that starts and runs reliably. They seem to be less attached to this motor than I am.

    I told them I would check what it would take to have someone professionally rebuild this motor. Anybody know where I could get that done (my location: Northern WI), and a general idea of cost? I assume it's more than the cost of a modern, 40 or 50 HP motor with controls.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    24,383

    Default Re: Gear case cracked - 1960 Evinrude 40 HP 35520

    Shop for another motor.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    5,463

    Default Re: Gear case cracked - 1960 Evinrude 40 HP 35520

    Where in Northern WI ??

  16. #16

    Default Re: Gear case cracked - 1960 Evinrude 40 HP 35520

    Quote Originally Posted by Boobie View Post
    Where in Northern WI ??
    Ashland

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    5,463

    Default Re: Gear case cracked - 1960 Evinrude 40 HP 35520

    Is Ross Marine still in business in Bayfield ??

Similar Threads

  1. 1960 Evinrude 40 HP 35520
    By JT_UP in forum Johnson Evinrude Outboard Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-16-2022, 11:05 AM
  2. BF50 2001 carbed long shaft cracked gear case
    By gazzagary46 in forum Honda Outboard Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-30-2019, 04:32 PM
  3. Recommended gear case lubricant- 1960 40 hp
    By LymanJohnson in forum Johnson Evinrude Outboard Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-02-2015, 09:50 AM
  4. 50hp Yamaha 4 stroke Possible cracked gear case, gear box issues
    By Mara Tessora Jennings in forum Yamaha Outboard Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-06-2015, 10:07 PM
  5. 1960 Johnson Gear Case
    By prizmatik in forum Johnson Evinrude Outboard Archive
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-01-2008, 08:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •