Logo

1960 Evinrude 40 HP 35520

JT_UP

Hi all, this is my first post. We have the motor listed above in the title, and it has sat for about 25 years. Prior to that it worked great for our family for a long time. We recently rebuilt our old plywood boat that my grandfather built, and would like to get the old motor running well. It ran "ok" at WOT after we took it out of storage, but didn't idle or run at low RPM very well. Now it doesn't start at all. I took the carb off and it is spotless clean. There seems to be spark, but I'm going to replace the ignition components. What else should be done to this motor? We did replace the gear lube and the old lube looked good.

I have taken the head off because the threads for the lower spark plug were ruined. I was able to get a new head at a low price, so that was a nice find. I will be replacing all the gaskets in that area.

I also noticed there is no thermostat. Not sure why it was removed. Anyone know if that was a common thing to do, or why there might not be one?

What else should I be fixing on this old motor?

People take thermostats out because they do not know much about outboards !-----Step #1 is to remove flywheel ( 3 bolt puller ) and inspect coils.----Install new water pump impeller before your next boating adventure.

Hey Racer, step#2? He will say to inspect coils for cracks, or possible burn through underneath to stator plate. Examine points for pitting. Replace as needed. Condensers should be replaced especially if they have the flat composite tops. The replacements will be shorter and with a rubber composition top. Beautiful boat and motor, welcome to the forum.

Hey Racer, step#2? He will say to inspect coils for cracks, or possible burn through underneath to stator plate. Examine points for pitting. Replace as needed. Condensers should be replaced especially if they have the flat composite tops. The replacements will be shorter and with a rubber composition top. Beautiful boat and motor, welcome to the forum.

Thank you sir. I appreciate all your info. I have to figure out a puller before I can go any further on this part. I did look through the inspection hole and all that stuff looks to be in good shape. But one set of points look somewhat crooked. So, at minimum, i'll need to adjust those.

Puller can borrow from your local auto parts store....check the posting here on the 1960 5.5 hp. Points can be carefully "tweeked" to line up properly. Make sure they are not pitted. They will build carbon and eventually cause weak spark and misfire.

Back