Logo

1996 Mercury 2 stroke/ 4 cyl C40ELPTO - Thermostat Location

mbp

1996 Mercury 2 stroke/ 4 cyl C40ELPTO.

I have the OEM repair manual. Been through it five or six times. Cannot find section on how to change the thermostat. Looking at the motor - cannot determine where thermostat is. Maybe the thermostat is beneath the huge ignition module?

Any help finding it in the manual or knowing where the thermostat is would be a big help.

Thank you.

1996 Mercury 2 stroke/ 4 cyl C40ELPTO.

I have the OEM repair manual. Been through it five or six times. Cannot find section on how to change the thermostat. Looking at the motor - cannot determine where thermostat is. Maybe the thermostat is beneath the huge ignition module?

Any help finding it in the manual or knowing where the thermostat is would be a big help.

Thank you.
I don't think those motors have a thermostat.

They have made those 4 cylinder motors since 1954 or so.----I have one of those.-----I do not believe these motors ever had a thermostat installed !!

They have made those 4 cylinder motors since 1954 or so.----I have one of those.-----I do not believe these motors ever had a thermostat installed !!

Interesting. If it has one, it might be under the huge black rectifier panel. Does your motor have this panel? Thank you.

What is the serial # of your motor ?----And have you looked at a parts diagram for that serial #-----This should be easy for you to figure ot !!

I have the same outboard, from what my local shop was able to tell me there is none. its odd for sure. May i ask what your fuel consumption is like. I find it just nuts compared to my 30 hp seapro

Back