Logo

Default V-Drive water in oil? (ZF 45 IV)

carboncow

Contributing Member
Gang...I'm helping a friend from the wakeboard world. He acquired his boat last year and is still shaking things down. First change on the ZF v-drive fluids and he noted in the aft (Vee) he it seems milky to him. I've told him to pump it out and let it settle for the night and we'll have a look this weekend when I get a chance to put eyes on it. The aft portion of the ZF 45 IV runs on dex3 ATF fluid from what he can tell while the front (fore) 45C runs on the Delvac 50W synthetic fluid.

Freshwater boat.

I'm doing some research for him tonight and it appears the aft unit has an internal cooler while the fore can have an optional external cooler. He hasn't verified if his has one but we are talking about the possible strawberry milkshake in the aft.

My Questions:

Anyway those units in the aft are known to fail? Assuming there is an exchange in there? Can they be swapped by removal of the ends (see attached image) where it looks like the water line covers bolt off or does the whole aft unit come out for a rebuild? Any common failure trends these are known for or pretty bullet proof?

At the moment I'm telling him to pump it, let it settle for review of how much water and refills once or twice and run the boat a few times to see if water comes back. Since the boat is new to him and he has know history on the transmissions maintenance I told him someone could have swamped the bilge in the past and some water could have injected via the breather. I also told him to check to level to see if it's abnormally high (water added) or low with ATF leaking into the cooling side.

Thanks for any data points we can consider but we get a set of eyes on the possible facts and what the next steps could/should be.

2022_08_10_21_58_36_ddea3b98d08bbaf0c8e772d02eade555837508a1.jpg

Back