Logo

OMC Fuel tank problem

jimbob888

Hi All
First post (ever in any forum) and i am looking at a fuel tank connector that came with an Evinrude 50 on the back of a Avon RIB.
The problem is that i cant connect the fuel line because the yellow bits of plastic are in the way, what am i doing wrong?

Cheers all from Jimbob
Tank.jpg
Ps there should be a pic somewhere here?

They are spring loaded...push hard! Sometimes if the pressure is up within the tank itself (ie. it has been setting in the sun) let the pressure off by opening the fill cap. This will relieve pressure allowing spring behind yellow tabs to be depressed a little easer.

Thank you so much. I have to be careful as i am always breaking things so i was worried about these little bits of plastic. Thanks again

Is that a factory Evinrude tank? I would suggest finding a REAL fuel tank....like a steel OMC with real stainless steel pins. What you have is a problem just waiting to happen, my friend. If it has a grey laminated plastic hose, then give that to your worst enemy too. You need one of these. Rubber hose, Gates. This tank, hose, primer bulb is 35 years old.
Sorry this Android and Marine Engine don't agree on photo orientation.
Tim in Duluth

Attachments

• IMG_20220812_154856560_compress42.jpg
    IMG_20220812_154856560_compress42.jpg
    427.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Is that a factory Evinrude tank? I would suggest finding a REAL fuel tank....like a steel OMC with real stainless steel pins. What you have is a problem just waiting to happen, my friend. If it has a grey laminated plastic hose, then give that to your worst enemy too. You need one of these. Rubber hose, Gates. This tank, hose, primer bulb is 35 years old.
Sorry this Android and Marine Engine don't agree on photo orientation.
Tim in Duluth

All they sell are the plastic tanks now. What is the problem with the grey hose? I have been using one for about 10yrs now. That's all they had at Canadian tire. What problem happens with it? Should I get a new one seeing how it's that old?

There are problems with these hoses that are grey laminated. The innermost liner delaminates and plugs up the coupling or even the primer bulb port. This worst thing can happen is that your motor will starve out, like it's running out of fuel. Some folks will blame the fuel pump and start throwing "bank" into a problem that originates with that laminated hose. The worst type is the one that has the clear....looks like Saran wrap....inner lining. Any ethanol will expedite the problem.

Attachments

• IMG_20201108_214815108_compress64.jpg
    IMG_20201108_214815108_compress64.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
All they sell are the plastic tanks now. What is the problem with the grey hose? I have been using one for about 10yrs now. That's all they had at Canadian tire. What problem happens with it? Should I get a new one seeing how it's that old?
Go to an auto supply store, maybe NAPA to get good fuel hose. As Tim said, the grey stuff breaks down. I have an old legacy Seadoo that used the grey hose.
The 2-stroke forum is rife with plugged carbs, etc from that hose. I changed it all out, & after cutting some apart, could easily see the deterioration.
When you re-hose, use proper clamps, if you have a small air leak you may find the fuel pump can’t keep up at idle/trolling settings.
For gas cans, whereabouts are you, I’ve got 2 or 3 extras of OMC steel tanks, clean, no rust inside or out. If you don’t throw them around like a football, they last a lifetime.

Thanks brother, appreciate the further clarification. I have probably 10 to 20 extra steel tanks. The little pins sometimes leak, but they have an o-ring that can be replaced. If you have never had ethanol in them, those o-rings will last over 60 years. Yes, they last a lifetime....at least MY lifetime....so far! I shop Canadian Tire too, you are right. Gotta build your own hose from Napa or similar. I get the Gates hose wholesale in 25' rolls at my good friends at the O'Reilly store. They charge me less that $1 per foot for the 5/16 and 3/8".
I was at the landing, ready to run the river on a cold, snowy late Oct. day in remote NW Ontario. I put a new fuel can full with non oxy and Amsoil mix to one of the 25's. It wouldn't prime up. Pushed in the coupling ckeckball with a little balsam stick. NO FUEL....WHAT! So I cut the hose off just before the coupling. The liner had come free and plugged it off completely. I told my wife and son...."here ya go again, another example of brilliant engineering that can get you in trouble". This has been the case several times, but not as in such demanding conditions as that day. I simply don't use that plastic crap anymore....not flexible in conditions we often operate anyway. The stiffer plastic hose pulls hard on the coupling at the motor too and forces it to wear out faster. The original OMC couplings had a beautiful brass sleeve inside the plastic where it slides on the locking barb. That was WAY to good....enter MODERN BRILLIANT ENGINEERING, eh? Not for me.

Last edited:
Yes, that is certainly premium hose. I have some here too, got from trash bin when a car wash remodeled some 35 years ago.

Back