Logo

Starting Issue - '68 Merc 350S

Adk_Life

I have acquired a boat recently ('54 Feathercraft Runabout Deluxe) with a '68 Merc 350S that wouldn't start. The previous owner had taken the starter out. My plan was to put it all back together and see what I get. Before I do that, should I just test the starter as it? Anyone thing else I can easily test?

Also, I started taking off the cover and I am having an issue removing the top cover (see red x below on photo). I have a few bolts out, and a nut and it is loose, but it's not coming off. Anyone know the trick to this?

IMG_6975.jpg

I have acquired a boat recently ('54 Feathercraft Runabout Deluxe) with a '68 Merc 350S that wouldn't start. The previous owner had taken the starter out. My plan was to put it all back together and see what I get. Before I do that, should I just test the starter as it? Anyone thing else I can easily test?

Also, I started taking off the cover and I am having an issue removing the top cover (see red x below on photo). I have a few bolts out, and a nut and it is loose, but it's not coming off. Anyone know the trick to this?

View attachment 29111

No takers.....? Nobody currently using this unit anymore.....should I junk it?

Method 1 :To remove the cowling look for a white button under the pullcord handle, push it to release the front cover then unlatch the wrap around..
Method 2: At the back there might be 2 levers, pull them down to release.
These are guesses based on observations.

Thanks - I have the cowling off, I'm looking for help for that black top cap that is made of metal and bolted to motor. I took out one nut and it is loose. Can't see what I"m missing....

I think there are a total of 4 nuts to be removed.----Also keep track of any washers ( shims) when the top cowl lifts up and off.----Might have to deal with choke solenoid wire as well.

Did some digging and found the missing nuts/bolts that had to come off. Top cap is off now and I started to work through the debugging process. Hot wired the starter and that spun up nice. So I am thinking it must be a bad solenoid. I was going to try and put it all back together and see what I got when I tried to start it, but I don't see how to get the starter back in. I found a video on line with a guy who cut his old one out and found a replacement that could slide in from the bottom (by removing the carb). Saw another thread about someone who took off the sprocket and that allowed it to fit in. I don't know how the last person who worked on it, got it out. Any suggestions? Comments? Photos? I will take some photos shortly and post.

So I reached out to my local Merc dealer for help and they stated the starter I have isn't the correct starter. They said a new one was $400. Is there a replacement starter out there that will work for this '68 35HP unit?

That starter is quite common.------One from a 50 HP will likely fit.------What part # is the starter you have and where did you buy it?----Online I assume.

I did not purchase the starter, but it has a label on it with these numbers: 036953 and 073018. I tried looking them up, but didn't get anywhere.

Anyone know the original part# for a '68 Merc 350 2-Cyl - 35 HP, elect. start?

Last edited:
I wish I could, but I don't have the starter that was in there working. When I got the boat, someone had already started to work on it, and had purchased a new starter (that isn't correct). I will look to purchase a starter and see if the shop will put everything back together for me (or I will bring it back home and start working on it myself).

Back