Logo

1985 90hp Evinrude Intermittent Loss Of Tell-Tale

BeachCreature

Hey all, so I have a fairly new to me '85 90hp. Earlier this year I replaced the water pump assy and t/stats (all Sierra stuff). On two occasions, in the water, it has peed just fine at start up but several minutes later has quit peeing and starts to blow steam. The first time I was still tied to the dock and the second time I was under way at just above idle speed. Both times I shut it down, waited a few seconds and restarted it with no further problems. Any ideas??? Could the impeller key be slipping? I am worried that it could happen at speed and I would not be aware until something bad happens. I also need to look at the overheat alarm but that is secondary.
TIA, Martin

You might need to look at / replace water diverters.-----Heads need to come off for inspection.----Test the over heat alarm before you start the motor again.-----Post compression test values before you spend serious coins on this motor.

Last edited:
You might need to look at / replace water diverters.-----Heads need to come off for inspection.----Test the over heat alarm before you start the motor again.-----Post compression test values before you spend serious coins on this motor.

Thanks, Racerone. You were also helping me on another forum - much appreciated. Anyway, I dont remember the exact values but the compression was very good and definitely within 10% on each cylinder when I got it but I can check it again and post it.
I've done diverters before (different motor) but only because one was gone completely. You think diverters could cause an intermittent like this? And, yes, I need to look at that alarm!! Thanks again

Back