Logo

Quicksilver 3000 throttle control won't go out of neutral after reinstall

carefulmistake

Hello,

New member here. I just purchased a 1997 Tracker Pontoon and pulled all the carpet and seating out and replaced it. When I put the new console in, I had to take the control out of the old console and now that I have reinstalled it per the throttle control manual, the neutral button won't pop back out. I believe I lost my central point when I pulled it all apart but I've got the handle in the middle of forward and reverse now. I've tried many different things as I've read in the forum but nothing will get it to pop out of neutral. (Full reverse when install, full forward, etc). Anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks,

SC

Attachments

• IMG_1035.jpg
    IMG_1035.jpg
    452.1 KB · Views: 11
I have one of those. The button is spring loaded so my guess is that you prevented the spring from functioning somehow, either by binding of the button or spring, or improper positioning of the spring. Since you have already know to take it apart, remove the cables from the control and see if you can get it to function without the cables connected. If so, reinstall the cables without them being connected to the engine and test again. If working, reconnect to engine and see how it goes.

Thank you. I've not taken apart from the back side yet since I didn't do that to begin with but messing with the spring makes sense. I'll try that and post later this evening what I find.

Thanks,

SC

I thought you indicated that you had taken the back off. Since you haven't been into it, binding should be easy to see by rub marks on adjacent surfaces. Also, get a can of spray white lithium grease and regrease the components that show to have been initially greased....include in that the surfaces of the button that touch other surfaces in the control. Also, extend the control cables and grease the inner shafts while you have it apart.....same thing on the engine end wouldn't hurt also.

The set screw that holds the handle in place is under the bottom of the lever. With the box mounted in the boat, positioning the lever to full F gear (firewall it) and looking at the bottom of the lever from the rear you can see and access the set screw. Bad news is that corrosion may impede your ability to get the handle off so that you can separate the covers.

Last edited:
Back