Logo

Honda 130HP 1999 outboard venting fuel down motor when starting

5hondaoutboards

Retired and recently started annual maintenance on my very low hour 1999 Honda 130HP. Full maintenance with filters, oil, plugs, impeller, gear oil, etc.
Motor cranks (with NO hint of starting) and gas is venting down outside of motor. Motor worked fine last year. Vent filter above vapor separator is filled with gas and this vent line is where gas is coming from. Drained vapor separator x 3 per shop manual and everything looks good. When I pump primer bulb gas refills vapor separator and goes back up into vent filter. I haven't yet changed high pressure filter but one on engine has less than 75 hours.

Ideas:
1. Vapor separator float stuck pushing gas to vent out
2. high pressure fuel pump is not working
3. Electrical problem starting fuel pump
4. High Pressure filter clogged ??

Dealer recommends upgrade to new Vapor separator Assembly which is over $1,000. Will this still fit a 1999? One giant problem is that I still have the original Vapor Separator/Fuel pump setup. O rings for vapor separator are unavailable which has me not wanting to open it up if I don't need to. Can you use another sealant in place of O rings as a solution? If fuel pump is toast - since I can't get a replacement then upgrade may be only way to solve.
Please Help a New member.

My bet-
There's a needle and seat with float arrangement (not unlike a carb, just bigger) inside the vapor separator, and for whatever reason it's not closing. Could be stuck, could be some crud preventing it from closing completely.

Ideas:
1. Vapor separator float stuck pushing gas to vent out
most probably yes;the needle assembly does not seal well and the VST overflows out of the vent tube.
2. high pressure fuel pump is not working
I don’t think that would be the cause but:when turning the switch to on you should be able to hear the HP pump running for 2 seconds.
3. Electrical problem starting fuel pump
I think not.
4. High Puressure filter clogged ??

Most probably the float needle assembly is not sealing properly.
Either the float needle is out of spec or there is a small screw that might have come loose in which case the needle assembly might be in the bottom of the VST.
I had a 1999 BF130 with the old VST and the pump holding under the VST.
I replaced it with the new VST.
The 1999 BF 130 can take the new VST.
I did not replace the VST orings .

Thanks for the very helpful input. I have ordered the float needle and sealing washers needed to open up the vapor separator. At that time, I will also add a new High Pressure Filter. Still hoping someone can recommend a sealant to use in place of O rings. Tried to test the fuel pump today with a multimeter but couldn't get probes to work with the clip with wires leading to the fuel pump. Will try again later.
Take Care.

You can get o rings from commercial gasket and o ring suppliers if you have your original to measure ring diameter and thickness. Where are you located?

You can get o rings from commercial gasket and o ring suppliers if you have your original to measure ring diameter and thickness. Where are you located?

I am located in the Los Angeles area. I would be willing to drive a distance or send O ring specs to a supplier. You help is very welcome.
Thanks.

You should be able to find a gasket and o ring supplier in LA, our town that has one is 7000 population. :)

Hi, I replied to your PM message.

Like others said, I suspect a faulty VST (float/needle valve) as well. I got a new VST, rail and 5 or 6 fuel lines from a Honda dealer for $650 and did the install myself, as it was not difficult at all. My 1999 BF130 is running like a top now. (I did not replace the rail -- just the VST and 22 year old fuel lines.)

That Helm Honda Shop Manual I have has easily paid for itself 6 to 8 times over.

Good luck.

Old No7

ps: See my posting from this spring about "how to prime a new VST" -- it took a little effort...

Hi,
When I had my truck shop, I had an account with "Orings & Things" in Fontana. 14646 Hawthorne Ave. Fontana, Ca. I don't know if they are still there but a google search came up with a Yellow Pages listing...
(909) 357-7110

That place was awesome when it came to sourcing pretty much anything under the sun involving orings and seals.

As part of my mobile repair truck's inventory I also kept two "oring and seal fabrication kits"...one metric and one fractional. I believe those kits were made by Caterpiller. I bought them both at Orings & Things. They were expensive but they provided the ability to make up, quickly and on the spot, any oring or seal ring needed.

But here's where it might be worth your time to drive out to Fontana...
I believe they will make you a "one off" seal at Orings&Things for a fairly reasonable price.

You would definitely need to take them the "box and lid" though... not just an old one or measurements.

Good luck!

jgmo,
Thanks for the Orings and Things tip. I called them and they were very helpful. Even recommended some other O ring spe******ts. Looks like I now have some options.
5hondaoutboards

Oh, you are welcime! So glad they are still there and obviously still trying to help people. Great family!

Update:
Permatex gave me technical help to use one of their products and reuse the old O ring. When opening the vapor separator the needle aluminum side had corroded and stuck the float so it wouldn't move. When I replaced the needle assembly, cleaned up the vapor separator, and then put it back in place the engine started right up and ran fine.
After all of that, I decided to purchase the updated vapor separator assembly kit. After putting it in, and priming it up, the engine started up after 2 cranks and is running fine.
Thanks to all of you that helped and correctly diagnosed the problem.

That's great news! Glad you got her going. Would you be willing to share particulars on the Permatex product that you mentioned?

Cheers and a gulp-o-suds to your success!

Back