Logo

BF25 trim n tilt issue

Mikenike

Bought this not working have power and ground into relay when I use a test light on the wires going to the motor they switch back and forth to ground but not 12 volt so where does the motor get it’s 12 volt from looking for a wiring diagram but can find anything

If it works anything like the ones I've worked on, if the pump is running it has a hot and a ground. To reverse, the hot and ground are reversed.

If you have no positive going to the pump in either direction, it sound like you might have a bad relay - or a bad connection.

Hi,
There should be one 10 amp fuse on the outboard and it should be located not far from the relay...on my 20hp it's at the top and slightly to port. See if you can locate it and check it out.

Good luck.

Hi again,
Apologies for my sloppy answer before. You said you had power at the relay but it didn't register on my foggy brain.

The fuse is actually supposed to be 20amp.

Power is delivered to the relay assembly via the white wire.
Ground for the motor (in both directions) is provided by the black wire.

Unplug the motor connector and check for voltage by probing either the light green or light blue wire with positive lead and battery negative with the other lead on the other wire. One wire should receive volts when the trim switch is depressed. The other wire receives voltage when the trim switch is depressed the opposite way. Since it's a DC motor, the motor can run in either direction when polarity is reversed.

If you get voltage in both directions, the motor may be bad.

You can test the motor by unplugging it and jumpering 12v to one wire while supplying battery ground to the other wire FOR JUST A SECOND. Be careful doing this because the outboard will move or try to trim and could hurt you.

If you don't get voltage then the relay assembly is likely bad.

I have found broken wires going to the relay assembly. I say "assembly" because there are actually 2 separate relays in a black box. The wires typically break very near the relay assembly.

There are 3 diodes inside the relay box to direct current. If one of those is bad, the fuse might keep blowing or the tilt won't work at all.

I hope this helps you.

Back