Logo

1984 Merc 45 won't start, wants to, but won't

I believe it to be a 1984, classic 45hp. Ser # A948873

New to me. Bought it recently, when I bought it the owner started it up, it ran fine. Went F-N-R, worked. Pumping water just fine.

Got the boat home and got to work on the neglected inside. 6 weeks have passed and I have the boat good enough for this year.

Before heading off to a lake I wanted to try the motor in the yard. Hooked up earmuffs, battery, fuel tank, primed, choked, turned over nicely, started, ran 2 seconds and died. Again, same thing, over and over. Almost like the old Dodges would sound with the fuze link blown.
Tried to keep choke on after it tries to start, seems to keep it running a little longer, but roughly. Then the next time it tries to start it runs for 4 seconds maybe. Checked fuel tank vent, checked fuel connection.
Removed fuel filter, no water, no debris. Bulb on fuel hose firms up and when pumped a very slight noise can be heard in the carb area, like the diaphram of the fuel pump maybe flapping back and forth, or a check valve...

I am going to try to attach a short video of the motor trying to start.
Can't get it to copy. Links to it on Youtube https://youtube.com/shorts/RwLlJ3gNhxs

Last edited:
Fiddling and noticed that the linkage for the lower carb was loose. Advanced it and tightened. Got running, a bit rough, smokey. Running long enough to warm up and saw that it was not ejecting water from the outlet.
Inspection of flush plate revealed broken pieces of rubber. I will replace impeller before proceeding.
Thank you.

Back