Logo

Mercury 90 ELPTO, 3 cyl, 2 stroke electricity issue

emilijanenko

Hello everybody. I am newbie desperately searching through forum but unable to find the solution.

I have a problem with my old and up to recent reliable outboard Mercury 90 ELPTO, 3 cyl, 2 stroke (bulit 1987. or 1988. - serial B180494).
Last year it stopped charging battery and tach stop working. Shortly after missfiring started and engine lost power (probably on one cylinder).
I've purchased new stator and regulator kit serial no 398 832075A7 wich supossed to be perfect fit for my engine according to local dealer(?).
I've connected everything according to manual. Removed old rectifier, installed new terminal block, stator and regulator. I've connected ground wire from regulator to ground wire form regulator harness with bolt on regulator chasis and other side to selenoid negative. (In manual there was no mention of short black ground wire coming from regulator). All other connection where tight and OK. I have pointed the arrow of stator towards AFT but noticed that it's not paralel to outbard symmetry.

When I cranked the engine ground wire from regulator close to selenoid burns out. After that I've noticed that top spark plug cable lost continuity too, wich might be old issue. Could bad coil cause such problem? I've changed all three coils after that and tried to fire up engine without noticing burnt regulator ground and obviously there was no sparks on any cyilinder. I am not starting engine with same faulty(?) setup anymore.

I do all the work myself because it's impossible to find any marine electrician keen to work with old engines.

Thank you for any help, I appreciate it.

Last edited:
Ok. I found the problem. Sta-strap pealed of part of cable insulation and caused short circuit.
But I don't have sparks on any cylinder now. Tried to remove kill switch cables from switch box and nothing changed.
I guess it's the faulty or wrong stator.

Back