Logo

Mercury 150 4 stroke Starting Issue

TNDad

I have a 2016 Mercury 150 four stroke outboard. we have never had any issue until last weekend. after stopping in a cove we went to start the motor and it would start then die automatically after about 1~2 seconds. it has the same feeling as if you were to flip the kill switch. it will do this a few time's (maybe) and then start right up and run perfect. then the next time you go to start it, it may start put just fine or it might cut it self off again. Sometimes the engine will start 10 times in a row and then it might cut itself off for the next 5 to 10 times trying to start it. So it is a very intermitted issue. When the engine does start it runs fine, doesn't overheat, sputter, backfire or burn more fuel than normal. I have changed the fuel filter that is located right under the cowl (has a yellow pull tab). I have replaced the battery and checked all the lines and wires and all seem to be in working order. I have not pulled the spark plugs yet since it does turn over each time and start I didn't think it was a spark issue. just wanted to see if anyone has dealt with this issue before? or if anyton had another item I should check / replace.

I also am having to work on my boat in the water as I do not have a trailer or lift so that adds to my issue.

Back