Logo

1991 Four Winns 285 Water Pump Problem

Estam

Twin OMC 5.0 w/ Cobra
Replaced both Impellers and housings and with hose disconnected to thermostat housing no water.
Any suggestions please.

Interesting question, boat in water.
The boat is trailered.
Thanks...

Ayuh,..... If yer backin' in deep enough to totally submerge the drive, it shouldn't need to be primed, as the pump will already be flooded,......

These pump will Not suck water, they're flooded entry pumps,....

OK the Cobra has a little bleed hole/nipple and hose attached to it on the impeller housing, make sure that is open, and water sprays out when the engine is running on the water hose. I'm not sure why OMC designed it this way but I think it was at least partially to allow air out of the impeller housing so wate can get IN. Anyway when I re-commission the boat each year I take the plastic cover off of the rear gear housing so you can see the impeller housing. Take the hose off the little nipple and start engine on water hose. Water should shoot out. If not blow hole out with compressed air.
I've never had trouble with the Cobra impellers priming and I've owned this boat 20 years.

Thanks for that louc, On inspection of the housing the small hose was clear on both, I reinstalled that little hose before blowing through it, were was a slight restriction but could blow air through it. Reinstalled hose with small zip tie.
Quick question, where should I see water shoot out. I haven't been able to use muffs as my storage is in a area where there is no water. I'm going to put boat back in the water for the 6th time, lol, and going to try priming and if it doesn't work will be taking it to mates house and try with muffs.

When the hose is installed as they set it up you won’t see water exit as the water just goes into the exhaust housing. If you want to test in the water you can leave the plastic cover off the upper gear housing and disconnect the hose at the nipple on the impeller housing watch for water to spray out. If the top of the drive is submerged you could get a much longer hose hook that up to the impeller housing & then see if water shoots out.
With mine, if I hook up the water muffs & turn on the hose water shoots out of that nipple even with the engine off.

Purchased these pumps from local store and removing them and replacing them with originals that I just took off, they worked perfectly. Lou C had mentioned about buying OEM and to find these were not. The internals were loose and the metal housing part that the impeller sits and was loose were small gaps around the shoulder. Re-purchased two complete pumps and installed and worked perfectly. Thanks for help, never thought you would buy two defective pumps and wanted to replace the originals as they looked worn and probably had been on for years.

Back