Logo

Sherwood crank mounted pumps compared to Johnson

bobct

Advanced Contributor
Now that I'm well into my second season with the 8.1's, I really do like the crank mounted RWP setup from a service standpoint. Which with these pumps, is all the time :)

I have the P110's which don't have a great reputation but are an easy rebuild and/or swap. On the issue I just had (failed impeller bushing), the same pump has failed after about 70 hours. One thing I've done is put butyl tape over the top vents so when the lip seal does fail, it's not spraying all over the place and just pours into the bilge. That was a great idea (and works) but I neglected to track down the bilge water after running for a few weeks or I would have caught it sooner.

My two questions are:

1) Are the Johnson pumps that much better? It seems to be a similar design with the lip seal being the weak point. If yes, I'll switch them over. They are a LOT cheaper, like $169 for brand new. The P110's are easily $400 brand new. I have four P110's now and the full rebuild kit (bearings, lip seal, impeller) is around $45 and takes about 20-30 mins to do. I could just install rebuild pumps/impellers at the start of every season and leave it at that.

2) Does the runout/wobble of the pump have any bearing (pun inserted) on longevity? My port engine runs very true but I never got the engine in question to match. It has a wobble at lower RPM's, less so at higher RPM's.

Does that directly effect that longevity of the lip seal and/or bearings?

Lastly, I also noticed that there are two different mounting flanges which I accidentally noticed when I had two of them sitting side by side. In the pic below, you can see the difference in the profiles (they are facing each other). Both seem to seat fine but it is a difference.

thanks
Bob

Attachments

• flange.jpg
    flange.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 34
according to marine parts source, Sherwood will not fit an 8.1 crank pulley. double checking but possibly a moot point on the Johnson pump.

I don't prefer the crank pumps and don't have a lot of first hand experience beyond servicing them for others.

if they don't run true then it has to impact their service life...

As far as 'fit' goes, I'd think that if the hose ports are correct, the flange is the only other item of concern...surprised at the differences on your pumps in the picture...I would think the one on the 'right' when opening the picture (with the long taper on the nose) would seat better assuming its a match for the pulley...

I'd think you could swap pumps and test your theory on the wobble/service life...

Back