Logo

help identifying sterndrive for volvo 6.0

emac

Regular Contributor
Hi there, have a newer volvo penta 6.0 (2016 but installed in 2020) with an older outdrive. the plate is worn to the point no numbers are identifyable. Need to replace the throttle cable, and mechanic said he needs to know the sterndrive model to order the correct one. This is a one cable system, duel prop if that helps. IMG_8329.jpgIMG_8315.jpgIMG_8328.jpg

Part number, which includes the length is marked near both ends of the (industry standard control ) cable which runs as one cable from inside (under the back cover) the drive case to the control head at the helm. Only a "Mercruiser" ( or outboard) mechanic ( or someone who NEVER worked on ANY Volvo drive) would ever ask you that question.... run away !!!! It won't end well for you. Never pay to train your mechanic. Almost anyone can hack their way thru replacing that cable... adjusting it so your reverse interlock ( no kick up in reverse) works correctly is another story. The Volvo shop or owner's manual procedure is a must.

BTW, it looks like a Volvo SX series drive.

Why do you think you need a new shift cable???

Last edited:
looked at cable where it disappears into housing at stern, and removed shifter to look for any sort of labellng or part number, there was none. It doesnt shift into reverse, only forward, disconnected shifter at drive, and manually it will shift, but the cable wont move into the reverse position from the helm whether connected or not. This was discovered after putting boat in water. Mechinics belief is the guy who did the winter servicing pinched the cable when he removed and replaced outdrive last fall. Said mechanic is no longer around. The guy im working with now expected the numbers to be on the cable, but they werent.

On the replacement cable I just bought, the P/N is about 1 ft from the control end and nicely thermo stamped and inked in with white ink. On some older ones as I recall, it is only thermo stamped in and hard to read.... some are marked in ink at both ends... This cable family has been in production for a VERY long time, i.e., since the 1940s at least.

Does the cable shift the drive into N and FWD??? IFSO, not pinched. Most likely the clamp on the drive housing that captures the groove in the cable end is improperly installed. On most Volvo drives it is a flat plate with a U notch stamped into one end and when properly installed locks the cable jacket to the drive housing.
The cable end groove locks into the "U" cutout. Look at video linked below @ the 11:30 mark. The whole video is worth watching... drive cable install and adjust is the same regardless of engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rww6jguyObE

Last edited:
Why not strip the paint off that ID plate and see if you can read it. Looks like the SX-M joint venture with OMC drive, judging by the plastic cover over the shift linkage area. But that's just a guess.

i'll watch that video today, thanks and yeah, was gonna bring the dremel with eh little wire brush attachment to try and clean it off. appreciate all the advice.
Thanks.

i'll watch that video today, thanks and yeah, was gonna bring the dremel with eh little wire brush attachment to try and clean it off. appreciate all the advice.
Thanks.

Don't bother unless you are just curious. The P/N on the drive won't tell you how long the cable has to be....or for that matter what the fitting end option is on the control end of the cable. The length info is contained as a last two digits of the P/N on the cable itself. Cable P/N likely a CCX633xx ( depending on fittings @ shifter) Not a Volvo P/N but a Teleflex one.

update: so the U cutout seems to be correctly installed, it was tight, i removed it, put it back, (Oh, side note, the guy in the video used a ratchet with a few extenders to remove, and grumbled about it, but it came off easy with an offset wrench) theres only one grove to install it into.. I tried pulling out as much cable as I could to find a number, and the brass sheathing was definitely slightly kinked, so it can push out into forward, but not pull back into reverse. BTW no numbers were visible on what I could pull out, which was maybe 4 " at best. Mechanic thinks he has the right cable after talking to him, its a teleflex, and he'll bring 3 up based on the rough tape measure measurements, 20-22-24, one of those will fit. I really appreciate the feedback, haven't wire brushed that little plate yet but it seems less important now.

update, changed the control cable, the original was still there, was able to get the numbers off that, 26' cable. got it installed, tried the trick in the video, didnt work lol, but was able to push it down through with a little encouragement. seems to shift F N R just fine, but now not getting ignition. I thought I read that there is a neutral safety switch, which makes sense. under the shift box, there are two wire connections that looked to be empty, is that my problem? in mean time, i have batteries on the charger and will clean and reconnect tomorrow in case its just the batteries.

messed around with it, I need to adjust the cable, got it started messing with control while ignition was on, but definitely have to adjust the cable, it looks like it gets into reverse but not shifting all the way there. as always, love the information here.

There should be an adjustment procedure somewhere on line for free for the SX drive. Lacking one, disconnect the shift cable at the drive from the shift arm. Put the throttle @ helm in N detent position. Move shift mechanism @ drive so it's in Neutral detent. Adjust the right angel thingy on the shift cable @ the drive so that it just slides into the hole on the arm on the drive and reconnect... ( don't forget the cotter pin, and washer if there is one.)
F/N/R should work OK.

Back