Logo

1988 mercury 80hp NO FIRE

Ruslmo

Hello all, I recently acquired a 1988 TX 17 with a 1988 80hp mercury. I have good voltage on battery and cranks great but no fire, I have little experience with something this new and big, is the ignition system entirely electronic or is there an under the flywheel charge for spark? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Also went to remove the flywheel to check but before i got carried away is ut just the same as the older ones ? Remove nut and pull off ?

Russel

Wasn’t the kill switch did some voltage testing and I’m only getting like 8 volts from the stator and nothing from trigger. I’m currently trying to remove the flywheel and it is some kinda tight gotta puller on it and it is tight…any tricks ?

Still waiting on flywheel removal tool but can anyone answer me these couple things. What should my resistance be between my green and white and green wires coming off stator? Also what voltage should I see at cranking speeds? And does the stator just send a charge to the switch box then the switch box apply the spark? In other words should my stator put out X number of volts and the switch box possibly be bad and not allowing that voltage to go any further than where the voltage comes into it from said stator

A 1988 will not have the stator with those colors unless it was replaced with red stator. Output from adapter to switchbox on blue wire should be 300V on DVA meter when cranking

Okay I am pretty sure it has it has been changed to the red stator with the adaptor and those are the colors there are only 4 wires green and white going to the adaptor and 2 yellow going to the rectifier. I appreciate your response I will be applying it tomorrow

I finally got my Dva and I measured voltage from blue wire to ground and it was only 219. I assume that’s not high enough? Also I checked it between the green and white wires not through the adaptor and got the same.

I know you said 300 and 219 is less than that. I am meaning like that’s too low to even produce a spark or would it just be a week spark.

After I got a manual and found the CDI manual on line I was able to determine it was the switch box. Replaced it and it started right up!! Thanks

Back