Logo

2016 mercury 60hp not starting - newbie help needed

travisc04

My dad sold me his 2016 suntracker bass buggy pontoon boat. It has a mercury 60hp efi 4 stroke on it. He took it out once in 2016 and one more time in 2017. It's been stored in a garage for the last 5 years.

Before starting it I flushed the gas tank, filled it up, changed the oil and filter, and put in the two new batteries. It started, but had a rough idle and died when I tried to hit the throttle.

I then changed the two fuel filters, cleaned the VST (top filter was clean, bottom was very dirty), checked the fuel pressure (40 - 45 psi) at the shrader valve, and tried to start it. Now it does not start at all, but the starter is strong and it seems it just is not getting fuel. The hand pump at tank is tight. I didn't check the low pressure pump, but thought about changing it next. Could it be electrical? All the lights, stereo. etc. work but it could be a fuse.

Any help is appreciated. I was going to take it in to the repair shop, but they are booked until Sept. Please let me know if you have any ideas. If there is a fuse to check where are they on these boats? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I did double check those connections. I had the same issue before I cleaned the VST so I don't think it's related to that. Is there a fuse that controls power to the low pressure pump? That's the only thing I haven't checked fuel related.

Back