Logo

2004 Honda BF150 Alarm I cant seem to root cause

dcastillo

Hoping for some direction as Ive exhausted most of my ideas, and we are supposed to be going on a family trip to the keys in a
few days with my boat....

I'll try to keep it short and to the point:

Motors has ran flawlessly for a few years.
This year she sat much longer then ever before, maybe took two trips in 6 months on her.
On the last one she threw a solid alarm and the engine stopped...
I have now changed both TStats and the sensors next to them.
gaskets on the TStat and the gasket on the poppet valve cover (it was dried and shrunken), the valve seemed fine so didnt replace it.
new impeller installed
I bought two gallons ($150!!!) of barnacle buster and ran it through the TStats down , then ran the engine in a tub with the same stuff for a few minutes

Ive done multiple test runs and the results are usually the same
I can idle for 20min no problem, I can run her at 20-25mph (~4000rpm) for 30min with no issues.
but if I push her close to 30mph (around 5K) she lasts about 5-10min then throws a solid alarm and the engine completely shuts off.
Usually I wait a few minutes (3-5min) and she always starts right back up and drives fine just like above.
when the alarm goes off, I laser temped the top of the engine next to each sensor, on average the port is 165ish and the starboard side is 180ish

this has been repeated 4 times this past weekend, always the same result

When it happens its a solid alarm and the engine just stops
I tried shorting the diag connector to send the code to the key switch light, but saw no codes show up (pretty sure I did it right.)

One thing that is confusing me is the orientation of the poppet valve, mine was upside down compared to the schematic, which is confusing since its been that way for 4 years now so likely not the issue???

Sorry for the length, but wanted to give the whole story and details of whats been tried and the results.
Really bummed as we are going to the keys this saturday.
thanks for any help
Danny

almost positive the stats are correctly located, the 50° C is on the port side of the motor. For the lights, it was kind of hard to tell in broad daylight but it appears all the lights were off , I assume because the entire boat just turned off.
turning the key on gives the proper 2 beeps as well.
I did buy a new oil switch sensor that'll be here in a few days , but everything I read says it should go into limp mode even if the oil switch alarm goes off.

thanks
Danny

I think the poppet valve may be the issue, but checking your overheat sensors under the t stats is another easy check (I.e. corrosion).

thank's for your thoughts, I may buy a new poppet valve and have it shipped to the place in the keys we are staying, can install it there.
both temp sensors under the stats were replaced when I did the stats.
thanks
Danny

Last edited:
Poppet valve allows extra flow of water at high rpm, will definitely cause an issue if installed upside down. I didn't realise this could be done ???

below is the valve, mine was installed the other way around when I inspected it.
I did try pumping water into the inlet tube in the mid section to see how it arrived at the poppet valve and I think it is in the right direction, just not sure why the drawing shows it the other way...

rfA1lBxeVTEpFe7ZZTF-4TOkXUXt_kBt_wMPMe5boVJeCZduJLVe5yl2HCasbjwNHj3hX_JcTD-6Bik4L56uZAoxds6OKfxG9XqGJUp3ZPZSuxumpHx5YYS9dojDgtKuUhO90Gsq1Re87qsdMY-eyZdmWwl1VBpEYNepNvFsi8G3yvjmj7AsN_7rnD2wdisf4u7cRlrg509Es-umS1lw6Q_R3bnA8ncRotyLg_2OZQoPqOhimDPwu9nO99Sp6FZUBv9XOGKzXoWOMg0MQEsRbnEj4y_x1_cNiT8BsphyO77E33848YIlwEb_QAxIjGYeeQ8upCTBHvSx3-0LX6YtJPiudrEFs39mCIRcrIyJKYSm2eeARy5qCvJbAhpQyhpjJqhICVOPxGFJ9svwSQUL6WJRxOTo9wyOAoyAluCiTMyEmaoyWZZV-NKT2o_Rpu4nzkjv2OEa0dDym2C3DN0-YnokVOMfeyCSAlGMBv1AZZe1_mUQmriutAEKtwyMG6quWlAvcsPXXsiPaB-r5znjv3W78VoYduGBKRTZ30sqRRz_Z1z1G1INwPGMJtIYhU8nNsDc8zyrn9Unam4vdsqmdM1xLe22WOJIm3HwfOZKQlZGEcYtQnod68w7xUGjSFGbm6f2Pw_dVy6n-jbpeiw9sY2q51slvKJzbLX8U7veAYvomAHlKkdDwJshuYoxK9LozlGFhAnEn3z0vAdEEXEUNCmSMiv-IBc2BvMj3knR3NWZUebJ2TttsONO8UhX=w1440-h1032-no

your picture gave me a light bulb moment. if I understand the diagram correctly, the relief valve dumps water out under high load, not actually giving extra to cooling the engine... if my valve is worn and the spring tension weakened, it would dump too much water instead of forcing it thru the engine to help with cooling...
did I follow that correctly?
thanks
Danny

I think you have that right. It would not allow enough water to the whole system. Typically that would show at idle, but reading other threads show it to be a higher RPM issue.

So wanted to follow up with my results for anyone in the future searching this same issue. While in the keys I replaced the poppet valve.... and of course I didnt want to trailer the boat so i did it in 2ft of grassy water and lost my 10mm 1/4" socket!!!!!
but afterwards I drove her for the next 4 days pretty hard and never got an alarm.... Id say my issue is resolved, thanks again for the help.
-Danny

That’s great news, and also good to know it could be done on the water. I need to read the shop manual again for when this valve should be swapped out for maintenance for mine!

So wanted to follow up with my results for anyone in the future searching this same issue. While in the keys I replaced the poppet valve.... and of course I didnt want to trailer the boat so i did it in 2ft of grassy water and lost my 10mm 1/4" socket!!!!!
but afterwards I drove her for the next 4 days pretty hard and never got an alarm.... Id say my issue is resolved, thanks again for the help.
-Danny
Thank you for all of the follow-up information. So just to be sure, the picture in the diagram is wrong and you have gotten all of your good results with turning the poppet the other way.. correct?

That’s great news, and also good to know it could be done on the water. I need to read the shop manual again for when this valve should be swapped out for maintenance for mine!

This drawing shows what I think is upside down. View attachment 29058
This image is too fuzzy for me to interpret. Is there a link to the original so that when I expand it it will still be crisp and clear? Or perhaps there is a way of sending a better quality picture. After a lot of time trying to figure out which way is correct for the puppet / relief valve, I am convinced that the rubber donut is placed into the hole first which results in the spring standing up vertical above the rubber donut. The opposite orientation is problematic and would cause a spring to be compressed when you bolt it down the cover for the puppet valve.

Back