Logo

1972 Evinrude 25502b no spark.

Rjybilcom

This is a new problem. I ended up taking my boat to a marine repair shop this spring, they put in a new impeller, carb kit, points and condenser. Motor ran great for a couple of months, better than it ever had since I bought it last year. Couple of weeks ago, launched the boat and it wouldn not start. Trailered it back to my camper and started by looking at the spark plugs. Using an inline spark plug tester, there is no spark on either plug. Also when the starter spins the flywheel there is a metallic sound like it's hitting something. A neighbor at the campground said he had an older Evinrude and he called it a cam that would shear off. I have not pulled the flywheel off yet, did not have a puller at the time. Planning to do that this weekend. Any ideas?

New development. I pulled the flywheel, the woodruff key is not sheared off. Made sure all the screws were tight and the points are clean. Now I'm getting spark to the bottom cylinder, not the top one. Still will not start. Not sure if it's a fuel problem, the shop I carried it to supposedly rebuilt the carburetor.

Just changed the cylinder head, one of the spark plug holes was stripped. When I took the thermostat cap off, there was no thermostat or seal inside? Parts diagram shows one.

Both Johnson’s I’ve purchased (72 and 86) didn’t have a thermostat in there either… I bought one and put it in. Maybe they caused issues in the past? Not sure, but would like to know. They run fine with a thermostat so far…

Back