Logo

Merc 125 ob 2 stroke idle

bowhunterokie

So long story but hopefully short. 2001 Merc 125 2 stroke, had some performance issues since owned (on mny 3rd summer now) last fall I hired a mechanic and he recommended rebuilding the carbs since I couldn't verify when it had been done since I've only owned it for 3 summers now, during the carb rebuilding found out cylinder 4 had low compression (90psi).

May 2022 installed new powerhead (did this instead of rebuilding the old one so everything was new). Got everything in place, ran it on hose/muffs with no issues, took to the boat ramp and when I put it in gear it dies. Everyone pointed to lync and sync on the carbs, so I enabled the assistance of a shop to do that for me becasue I know there are alot of moving parts in there with 4 carbs.

Shop did the lync and sync but said idle is at 1100 (verified this was on hose and muffs). Says "there must be something else wrong". That was last week and today I stop by and the office manager says the tech was going to look at it again today and has built a setup to where he can get the lower unit under water (I recommended this to her after everyone started talking about the backpressure and idle in and out of water). I don't if it still dies under load because the tech hasn't had it in the water.

* New powerhead
* Verified 130 compression on all 4
* New carb kits
* New inline filter and water seperator filter
* new plugs last Fall
* fresh gas with plenty of 2 cycle oil

So I'm at a loss of what to do. Any ideas?

Back