Logo

1992 88 SPL some power tilt/trim ?s

SaltyScot

Regular Contributor
J88MSLENB
I bought this motor yesterday and it ran well and the PTT worked well. I got it on my 16' runabout and I launched it and the PTT immediately stopped working. I had it on the trailering support on the way to the dock. I lowered it down and that was it. I was able to hit 39 mph anyway, so that was pleasing. But obviously it was stuck in the position equal to the outermost trim hole and bouncing the boat pretty good. One lower would have probably been just right. So I got home and found a thread by Joe Reeves and was able to manually lower it. I pulled the check valve and relieved the pressure and drained the oil. It just clicks when I hit the switches. I imagine I would need to check/replace the relays and then possibly the motor, as I don't hear the motor trying to move.

My questions are:

If it's working properly, do the bottom trim rams go down more? The motor just hits them stops cold. I need it to go down more to stop cavitating. I thought that they would if the system was drained and pressure relieved.

To replace the motor, do you just remove the upper bolt on each side and pivot the assembly out to get access to the back screw?

If the motor/relays doesn't solve it, can I just pull the 2 bolts on either side and the pin at the top and removed the system till a later date? Obviously, I would prefer that it work, but I've only had PTT on one outboard before and it barely worked.

Thanks.

Stephen

There is a momentary pause going from tilt to trim rams.-----Trim rams move much slower.-----What happens when you hold the switch a little longer ?

I bought a couple of new relays and put them in and it would trim down but not up. But then it quickly stop doing that at all. I tried running the blue directly to the 12v negative with the green to the 12v positive and just get arcing. So it seems like the motor is bad?

Back