Logo

Spark plug question

Segwoob

I have a 2001 200hp efi that I have had about 18 months. I was planning on changing the spark plugs because I have no idea when the last time they were changed. The manual calls for ngk BPZ8H-S-10. When I looked at the plugs currently in the motor they are BPZ8-N-10. My question is which plug should I buy to replace them? Are they interchangeable? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

You have a 20 year old motor, It’s possible the original plugs were superseded by a newer version. That is the case with one of my Toyota cars.
I would call a RELIABLE tech, & ask what the current service calls for. In your case the “N”, special design might be a marine version of the same plug, but with better corrosion resistance. If your motor has run great with what’s in it, buy them again. The most important thing not to screw up is reach. A long reach when a shorter one is called for might result in hitting piston.
with modern ignitions, it can be important to have the inductive resistor.
Your heat range of 8 is middle of the pack for NGK, note with NGK, the lower the number the hotter the plug.
In the NGK world,
B =14mm/13/16”
P = Projected insulator
Z = Inductive resistor
8 = Heat range
H = reach of 12.7mm (1/2”)
N & S = if separated from the other digits, N=special design, S= 2.5mm copper.
10 at the end denotes gap, in this case 1.0mm. (.040)
IIRC even though the USA doesn’t use metric, the first plugs were invented in France, & they were metric forever, that is why all your plugs have metric sizing (14mm) & metric thread pitch. Don’t run an SAE tap down your head to clean up.

Last edited:
Back