Logo

Need help cooling system 82 Johnson 115hp j115tlcnb

Kingston

New to this and need some experience in solving the issues I’m having.
I have a 1982 Johnson 115hp, it’s over heating on muffs and in the water(was told to optest in water as the muffs don’t supply enough water sometimes) normal water temp from hose bib 80-98 deg f, water temp where boat will be used 64-80
it’s used in salt water/brackish, as of now I’m just trying to get it running right before I start really throwing to much money at it so I know if I just need to get something else.
I have already replaced the thermostats and water pump. It is moving water at least thru to the tell tale.
On muffs it will idle approx 2-3 min, in the water it will idle about 6-7 mins, solid stream from tell tale then, the stream spits and sputters steam and water very suddenly before it’s just steam blowing thru. The water temp during this will cycle hot and cold(ambient temp) just before the spit and sputter of the tell tale the temp spikes to a temp you can’t hold your hand under. The head temps(left and right banks top and bottom are only off by 3-5deg f) will slowing increase and spike as well during this. From what I’ve been looking at, is there is deflector hoses in the power head water jackets that direct the cooling water flow from inlet to outlet ports on the power head.
now my question/s
when these slip out of place and cut off the flow direction, is there a way to test to see which bank is having the issue, example: if I remove one hose at a time the goes from the head to the thermostat housing then start the motor just long enough to see the flow volume would this tell me which bank or anything really is having an issue.
next question is.
if it is not the deflector hoses what could it be?
testing I have done allready
thermostats open/close yes at 164 (tested in water bath)
thermostats removed from motor and housing reinstalled without valve body in place and tested with muffs and in water only gained 2 min on muffs before same issue and about 5 min in water before same issue
made restrict or plate to put in place where the valve body normally goes and did the same and ran it with same times before the issue started with the thermostats in place.
my goal is to get this running with out removing to much of the bolt ons until my gasket kit comes in but also don’t want to waste the gaskets unless it’s needed if that makes sense.

First do a compression test and post the numbers.-----Fact #1----The water coming out of the tell tale does not circulate through the block.-----Fact #2----The deflectors in the water jacket merely guide the water around.---Water does NOT go through these deflector hoses.----Are tabs on the head gaskets both on the outer side ( away from exhaust ) of the block ?----Fact #3 ---The deflector hoses can swell shift out of position and block waterflow.----I suggest you remove cylinder heads.-----

I have already done a comp test, all cylinders are between 114-116 psi was reading on these and found 110-135 to be good. The tabs on the gaskets are on the out side.And I understand how the deflectors direct the flow, but.? was wondering if removing the hoses going to the thermostats one at a time would help me isolate if it is the deflectors? or an other issue Before removing the heads. I don’t want to go and break bolts just yet as I have ordered a gasket set and fastener kit and it’s back ordered and won’t be here for some time. Just trying to isolate the issues and get a good sense of what else it may be first for now to make sure I have all the parts ordered and on hand before I dig to far. I don’t want to order parts without just cause. Just in case there is a way to find out earlier if it’s a lost cause. Thanks for the quick reply racerone!
Also, is there a recall website for these outboards? don’t know if I’m going to ask this right but was there any modifications that the manufacture had released for these? From research online I’ve seen other models where individuals said they had gotten information for relocation of the tell tale as the location was causing air to build in the upper side of the water jackets on some models and the relocation allows the air to bleed out and fully fill the jacket.

I guess the better way to ask, is it possible for the exhaust to be slowly pressurizing the cooling system thru the exhaust cover and gasket. Essentially air bounding the cooling system and would the idea of testing I have mentioned be the meaning of I would not need to remove the heads but instead the exhaust cover and gasket. And replace those?

Relocation of tell tale was only for certain 3 cylinder motors.-----I could overhaul your motor without a single glance at a manual.-----Good luck with the trouble shooting.

Back