Logo

Best option for replacing tilt trim switch button?

bbar97

Hey all,

So I have a forward control handle with a tilt trim switch on it, but the actual button that is pressed to activate the switch is missing. I've looked for a replacement but I believe the control box was made in 1989 and its very hard to find someone selling just the part I need instead of a whole new unit.

Does anyone have ideas for the best way to go about this? The switch itself still works, I just need a screwdriver or knife to reach in and push the corners of the switch to activate it. I would prefer to not have to do that.

The solutions I've thought of are: 1. Buy a whole new Forward Control box, 2. Somehow 3D print or carve a plastic button to replace the missing one, or 3. Buy a separate switch and rewire it to the dash instead of the handle.

Thanks!

I'd say option 3 would be the fastest, followed by option 2. if you want to try that path, check with the local community college(s) and or tech schools in your area...lots of time, they are looking for 'real world projects' so you might get lucky there.

The other thought that comes to mind is to check with American Outboard Motors, in Maryland...they have a huge stock of new and used parts for 'older' units...google search will get you contact info.

Back