Logo

1992 Force 50hp Spark Plug Wires

dvanny

Hello all! I'm trying to get a 92 Force 50hp running and went to replace the spark plugs and wires. I was expecting to be able to pull or thread out the wires, but after removing one of them, it looks like they are potted into the coil pack. I searched a bunch, but haven't found any good info on how to replace the wires. I'd be surprised if I had to replace the expensive coil pack just to replace an inexpensive spark wire, but it is looking to me like that might be what I have to do. I hope I'm missing something obvious.

Can anyone tell me if there is a procedure to replace the spark wires on this engine?

If I do have to replace the coil pack, OEM replacement is ~$150. Do the "universal" coils work? I'm into territory I don't know much about, clearly, so while I don't want to break the bank, I do want to learn more about what I'm doing so I don't make a big mistake.

Thank you in advance for your help!

The wires are part of the coil, no way to remove and replace.

I have patched them.
Heat shrink tubing 2 different sizes, liquid electric tape and patience.
Remove the end, thread the wire through the 2 pieces of shrink and replace the end.
Heat the shrink and then any exposed spots cover with liquid tape(2-3 coats)

Standard magneto. Might have what you need, WAY cheaper.

Thanks, looks like I'll need to replace the coil I already have the cable pulled from.

Is soldering fine to do on spark wires? Don't know why not, just haven't done it before. I'd feel a lot better with a soldered connection than just twisted. I think part of the issue I'm having with getting the motor to run well is an unreliable spark. That's why I went to change the wires in the first place. If solder is ok to use on spark wires, I'll make that connection and then build up insulation to the original thickness, as you recommended.

Back