Logo

New member needs HELP!

Thor0812

Hello all, new here and about to pull my hair out. I'm very new to outboard motors. Worked on and rebuilt alot of 4 cycle engines so am fairly mechanically inclined. I've got a 97 Johnson 50 spl. Was running a little rough when I got it so changed the plugs, cleaned the carbs and installed a kit in each. Set back to factory spec. Checked throttle and timing cams/linkage and set to the manual. I have since installed all new fuel lines as well as a new pump. Have a practically new portable tank with fresh gas/oil (50:1) in it. The motor will not fire up (cold or warm) unless I either use the primer solenoid or crack the butterflies. To get it to crank and idle I have the throttle arm adjusted so the butterflies are cracked at idle. Sometimes it will idle fairly decent then just die like it ran out of fuel. I've been through carbs for trucks, Harleys and 4 wheelers with no problems but can't figure this out. Also, if the needles are set at 3.5 turs out (per book) it WILL NOT crank. 2 turns is about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm about ready to put a match to it. Thanks

Back