Logo

Mercruiser 3.0 Bogs Down at 2,000 RPM.

mwnitz

Hi there.

I've got a 2005 Ebbtide 18' bowrider boat with a Mercruiser 3.0L 4-cylinder, 2-barrel carburetor, Alpha One Generation 2 sterndrive. I've owned this boat since it was new. It seems that about every 4 years or so I have to rebuild the carb. The fuel usually gets the best of me, and I get debris in the carb. Well last August, the last run of the year, I had a new symptom. Under load, the engine bogs down around 2,000 RPM. It does not stutter or skip. It just stops having any balls around 2,000 RPM. If I give it more throttle, it bogs down even more. It acts as if it's got a choke and that choke is stuck partially closed. It does not have a choke. It has the TKS Fuel Enrichment system. So, I suspected the main jet in the carburetor had gummed up like it did in the past. I disassembled the carb and found that it was spotless inside! The float was way out of adjustment though. I cleaned the entire carb out, rebuilt it, and reinstalled it. This did not correct the problem to my dismay! I'm tempted to just replace the carburetor, but before I do, do any of you have any ideas? It starts fine, idles fine and accelerates fine.... until it hits around 2,000 RPM. I checked the filter on the fuel pump as well as replacing the clean filter inside of the carburetor.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Mark

When you find out the price on a new carb you may change your mind. Not only do I have to take my TKS carb apart every couple of years, I never get a third season out of a Thunderbolt Distributor cap. My carb issue always the same, won't run under 1200 RPM.

Back