Logo

Mercury 60 not reaching full stop

purplewg

Ok, I just picked up a new (to me) 16' Stumpknocker two days ago. Was just going over my normal checklist of things I like to have or do before taking it out. The normal move stuff around, take this off, put that on kind of stuff.

Well, I got back to the motor and was working on the water separator and happened to think about a problem I had on my Jon Boat with the engine not turning to full stop. The Jon Boat is a stick steer. I had just put a new Suzuki 4 stroke on it. I had to make a new steering plate for it to get it to go stop to stop. Well, guess what? I discovered this Mercury is not going stop to stop also. Port turn it is not going to turn very sharp. Starboard turn is better but to full stop. I took a quick look at the steering cable rod and it pushes one way further than it pulls the other. Before I modify the steering plate on the engine, does anyone have suggestions on how to better fix this situation?

Merc 60HP
Side Console with wheel steering.

Perhaps you need a different drag link.----And some links are adjustable.----Picture of your drag link ?

Thanks racerone. Yeah, I looked into the adjustable ones when I had a problem with the Jon Boat. I just can't believe anyone would have used this boat like this. Would have taken half a lake to turn it around. lol Got the pic for you.Draglink2.jpg

Looks like the link is a bit short...but the angle of the pic isn't best to determine that.

when in doubt, remove the link...then center the steering cable and then cent the engine...measure between the holes (where the link drop in) and compare that to the link...if its off by inches, time to find the correct one.

Looks like the link is a bit short...but the angle of the pic isn't best to determine that.

when in doubt, remove the link...then center the steering cable and then cent the engine...measure between the holes (where the link drop in) and compare that to the link...if its off by inches, time to find the correct one.

I did what you suggested. I have a center of motor bracket to center of steering shaft hole is 12 inches. My link rod is 11 inches. Looks like I will need a longer and maybe adjustable link rod. thanks for the help

I did what you suggested. I have a center of motor bracket to center of steering shaft hole is 12 inches. My link rod is 11 inches. Looks like I will need a longer and maybe adjustable link rod. thanks for the help

I was looking at the rod I took off and it is a Yamaha rod. lol Not that is matters but for sure is not the correct one. I built a "test" rod out of wood. I went with 12 inches first. It will not get me stop to stop but better. I then made a 13 inch one and it will go to the stop on the starboard side but no where near the stop on the port. Something for sure is off center somewhere it appears to me. I also found the steering spindle top mounting bolt is about 3/8 inch out, rusted, won't go in or out without twisting it off. Looking for a repair place now to fix that. Power head will have to come off to get to the nut on the inside. I can't do it because of cutoff wheel accident on my right hand.Swivelbolt.jpg

Its likely you will never get to the mechanical stop on each side...check the total stroke that the cable provides and then compare that to the left - right extent that the steering arm sweeps when you rotate the engine...I'd bet that's longer than the cable's stroke. Either way, you want the link to 'connect' when the cable is centered with the engine centered at the same time...

Its likely you will never get to the mechanical stop on each side...check the total stroke that the cable provides and then compare that to the left - right extent that the steering arm sweeps when you rotate the engine...I'd bet that's longer than the cable's stroke. Either way, you want the link to 'connect' when the cable is centered with the engine centered at the same time...

Yeah, you are right. I have had a couple friends tell me that their boats turn better one way than the other. I will do what you said here also. Thanks

Back