Logo

1972 Johnson stinger2 65hp

feistymechanic

Hello. Im new to the forum. I have a 65hp johnson stinger 2. My main problem is i can not keep it running consistently.
I was given the boat from my step father 6 years ago. He could not get it to run. I rebuilt all 3 carburetors, put in 3 e3 diamond fire spark plugs, replaced the fuel pump, and was able to run the boat for a great 2 years.
2 years ago i had to move to a town house for 9 months. For winter storage i decided to remove the engine from the boat and keep it in the garage. While the motor was in the garage i decided to rebuild the carbs again because the first rebuild i did not know i needed 3 kits and managed to make 3 working carbs from one kit. This time i took my time and used 3 kits to make 3 good builds. Spring came i purchased my forever home and put the motor back on the boat with the 3 good carbs. I cannot get the motor to stay running long enough to set the mixtures. Its been a fight for almost 2 years now. I have been an automotive tech since 2009. I have worked on a large range of engines from chainsaws, inboard and outboard motors, cars, trucks, busses, heavy equipment, motorcycles, and bulldozers.
The symptom is always the engine stalls. It could be right from start, running at half throttle, wide open throttle, idle, choke half choke, no choke, it will run for a half second all the way up to a full min. I installed a low pressure flow through electric fuel pump and same result with the pump on or off.
Im frustrated and seem to be lost. Im looking for help getting back to the basics and hope to get this running again.

I use an inline visual spark tester. I haven't purchased a spark distance tester yet. Spark has not skipped a beat yet. I aslo removed all 3 spark plugs, grounded each one, hooked up a starter button so i was not going to the key each time and watched all 3 plugs. They all snapped not skipping a beat.

Back