Logo

Cannot find the gasket for the carb cover on 1979 Evinrude and help with engine revs slowing.

kssnooz

I think I need to replace #10 in the linked diagram.
Engine ID is 70973R

https://www.marineengine.com/parts/...manufacturer=Evinrude&section=Intake+Manifold

However none of the sites I visit list it. Any assistance would be great.

Additional question we put boat in water and ran for a bit, at lower speeds it ran fin, at higher speeds it ran at the appropriate revs and then slowed, then back up, then slowed. Over and over. I'm thinking air in fuel lines messing with the mixture? Boat has been in cave storage for 5+years. Or could the broken gasket above cause the up/down/up/down? Boat runs fun with no cutouts or issues at low rpm/speed.

I did get the previous engine not turning over figured out after my last post. Bad terminal block in battery compartment, not grounding engine well enough, and a faulty black/yellow wire connection in the ignition. Bypassed the kill wire to a momentary switch until a new ignition switch gets here.

Thanks in advance!!
-Brian

I think I need to replace #10 in the linked diagram.
Engine ID is 70973R

https://www.marineengine.com/parts/...73R&manufacturer=Evinrude§ion=Intake+Manifold

However none of the sites I visit list it. Any assistance would be great.

Additional question we put boat in water and ran for a bit, at lower speeds it ran fin, at higher speeds it ran at the appropriate revs and then slowed, then back up, then slowed. Over and over. I'm thinking air in fuel lines messing with the mixture? Boat has been in cave storage for 5+years. Or could the broken gasket above cause the up/down/up/down? Boat runs fun with no cutouts or issues at low rpm/speed.

I did get the previous engine not turning over figured out after my last post. Bad terminal block in battery compartment, not grounding engine well enough, and a faulty black/yellow wire connection in the ignition. Bypassed the kill wire to a momentary switch until a new ignition switch gets here.

Thanks in advance!!
-Brian

It is either 0321794 or 0314322 , The former I think and fits a great many later models. The later fits earlier models with a different air box

It is either 0321794 or 0314322 , The former I think and fits a great many later models. The later fits earlier models with a different air box

Thanks a ton. I was able to find the part thanks to you, now finding one that is in stock, is another issue but I at least have the part #

That gasket can not be the issue.----Note the big holes at the back that are open.----Start with a compression test.----Post your numbers.----Check spark.----Clean carburetors.---Check / replace fuel pump diaphragm------Install new water pump impeller !

Back