Logo

Crusader 165 exhaust manifolds

Trand

I’m told that these exhaust manifolds are no longer made. Can anyone offer an after market options for me?The motors are 1983 CH165 V6 units, which otherwise run great…

After 7 years in the salt, my manifolds and risers are done….

Sadly, Crusader stopped supporting the v-6 products a while ago...

As far as alternatives go, about the only choices I know of are Mercruiser (original or dry-joint) or their aftermarket equivalents. I'd be inclined to buy Barr before Sierra and avoid GLM altogether)...

I'd suspect if you have to change the manifolds and the elbows, you are likely going to have to get new exhaust hose, too...and getting new clamps would make sense.

You can always check out what our host has to offer...I'd search the mercruiser parts listing for their 4.3 engines from the mid 80's...

Sadly, Crusader stopped supporting the v-6 products a while ago...

As far as alternatives go, about the only choices I know of are Mercruiser (original or dry-joint) or their aftermarket equivalents. I'd be inclined to buy Barr before Sierra and avoid GLM altogether)...

I'd suspect if you have to change the manifolds and the elbows, you are likely going to have to get new exhaust hose, too...and getting new clamps would make sense.

You can always check out what our host has to offer...I'd search the mercruiser parts listing for their 4.3 engines from the mid 80's...

The crusader 165 is actually a 3.9 litre engine. Sadly, Barr doesn’t sell any compatible exhaust manifolds.

OK...then I'd say you have the old inline 6 GM block...where you get 230/250/292 CID versions.

you could try this:

https://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=BARMC-1-58759

If the formatting is off, just copy and paste into a new browser window...

you'd have to get 'finishing parts' and make the plumbing work - not hard but detailed...

No I’m quite certain they’re V6 units. 1983 CH 165, 3.9 litre.
my research suggests that they’re likely the same as Volvo Penta AQ 175, and Mercruiser 229. Can anyone confirm that they will have the same exhaust manifolds?

Last edited:
https://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=BARMC-1-99746

the v6 gm 229CID engine is also known as the 3.8L, not 3.9l

The marine engine 'OEMs' typically used GM standard production engines that they added their bolt on pieces to to finish the marinization process. If you identify the correct engine family, there's a lot of interchange...you just have to be careful in that changing one part can cause one to replace several others.

https://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=BARMC-1-99746

the v6 gm 229CID engine is also known as the 3.8L, not 3.9l

The marine engine 'OEMs' typically used GM standard production engines that they added their bolt on pieces to to finish the marinization process. If you identify the correct engine family, there's a lot of interchange...you just have to be careful in that changing one part can cause one to replace several others.

my manifolds appear to be unavailable (crusader 97484). I have no exhaust raw water coming through one half of my V6. What’s the most likely blockage?

manifolds appear original 1983, but risers are aftermarket Osco units.

is it possible that manifolds are ok and I just need to replace risers?. Boat is salt water all its life. Risers were replaced 7 years ago.. doesn’t look like manifolds were replaced then because the paint on them is same as motor; risers are slightly different colour.

opinions?

the cast iron elbows around here usually don't see more than five seasons...some report issues after 3 seasons...a lot depends on the crud in the water, the quality of the casting, and the use the engines see...i would say the elbows are likely to be clogged up at 7 seasons...and the likelihood of cleaning them up with damage is very low...

and a clogged elbow will flow very little water and, if run like that, will normally burn thru the hose the elbow dumps into.

the exhaust manifolds will normally go a couple decades, even with raw water cooling.

the cast iron elbows around here usually don't see more than five seasons...some report issues after 3 seasons...a lot depends on the crud in the water, the quality of the casting, and the use the engines see...i would say the elbows are likely to be clogged up at 7 seasons...and the likelihood of cleaning them up with damage is very low...

and a clogged elbow will flow very little water and, if run like that, will normally burn thru the hose the elbow dumps into.

the exhaust manifolds will normally go a couple decades, even with raw water cooling.

took off a riser yesterday. Seems like exhaust manifold is fine. As you say, risers are choked up w rust/scale. Next time I’ll change them before they get this bad!

should have said 'lilelihood of cleaning them up WITHOUT damage is low' in post #9.

The exhaust gas and the saltwater with the heat make for a corrosive environment...the particles you found are normal. Flushing after every use will slow it down but not stop it...eventually, the water outlet get clogged. after a couple clean outs, what normally happens is that the water jacket, inside the elbow, fails and let cooling water into the exhaust passage where it will run back down into the manifolds and eventually back into the cylinders...

So, the school of hard knocks teaches one to replace the elbows as regular service after so many years of use.

Hopefully you can find some elbows to match your manifolds and get the gaskets, too. make sure the gasket faces are true and you should be good to go.

Back