Logo

MFS6D observations

Retired my M5B, circa 1995ush is my guess, for the SailPro ULS...

Man what a difference. Some observations to anyone contemplating one...

I'm 4 hours into break-in. Had PDI done by local dealer. Running mix of ethanol and ethanol free for now.

1) Much, much quieter of course, more so at idle and under 3K rpm though.

2) Big handles are nice, but anyone owning a Cape Dory and using the Spartan motor mount beware. You can't easily tilt motor, requires some yoga moves to tilt clear of water.

3) has been running great at range of RPm's though i
noticed it hunts between 2200 - 2500 at times, this is when set at 2500.

4) double check each settings after PDI. i was surprised that the idle RPM was some 200rpm below spec. I didn't notice it until coming back to my slip after about a 2 hour run. When i was in idle, approaching slip, and tried to quickly kick up the RPM it stalled. Happened when trying in FWD or REV. Happened twice on approaching my slip. Both times i was able to immediately restart motor. After it happened i checked rpm on my Hardline Tach and that's how i discovered the low RPM. I then adjusted it so it idles around 1270-1310. Then tested and no stalling (at least for now....). Moral. get a tach/hour meter...

5) flush plug seems useless. with a thermostat what's the point. you can't flush the head if motor is powered down. but read conflicting info today that you CAN use flush plug AND run engine. problem is when motor is upright lower unit is in water... oh well...

6) after 4 hours my WOT has peaked at about 4850 rpm. maybe it needs more breaking time to get more rpm's..

7) surprised the scheduled first oil change is after 20 hours. i plan to change after about 8-10 hours.

I would see about a lower pitch prop to get over 5K WOT RPM. Flush plug is OK even if only 90% of motor gets flushed. Yes, you can idle (only) while flushing.

i'm going to test WoT tonight. i was a little hesitant turning up the throttle though. when i was at half-way mark i was at 4850, and turning it up slightly didn't provide anymore lift in rpm. maybe i was just being tentative as i backed down being new motor and all.

need to find paint as i already scratched the dang thing on my motor mount...

Back