Logo

Evinrude 1983 70 HP fuel out of air inlet carbs

Nick0151

Regular Contributor
Hi

First time posting here, i have a 70 HP Evinrude issue is when at idle the seems to be alot of fuel coming out of the carbs like its running far to rich, i followed the link and sync video and didnt do much.

I have checked the float bowel in all three carbs seems to be right.

Andy advice would appreciated.

il upload a photo of the carbs now as they are on my phone,

Thanks

Nick

IMG_3480.JPG

IMG_3481.JPG

IMG_3482.JPG

Last edited:
thank you for your reply i have done the floats and tested with air (blowing in) they seem to be right i could bend it a little so not filling up but dont want to go to far. could it be the idle mixture to rich?

Hi yes those little screws they are like caps and the mixture needle is behind. The outboard runs really well overall just the fuel coming out mostly from the top carb the other two do have some fuel come out but nothing like that top one and looks like its been messed with. i have only had the engine for about 3 weeks.

Model Number is E70ELCNB comes back to 82 my mistake.

Thanks

Inspect / replace float and float valve on upper carburetor.-----What other work have you done on this ---" new to you motor " ?

ok will il set the float down a little see if that fixes it.

not much work needed doing the main issue is the tilt tube is all corroded so needs replacing guy before me had a splash mounted steering system. i have changed all the fuel lines and given it a quick once over link and sync the carbs and thats about it. runs well just the excusive about of fuel out of carb 1. they do normally have some fuel come out just top one is to much IMO.

The outboard was serviced at start of the year so gear oil and impellor done grease everything. just tilt tube and should be ready to test on the boat.

Little off topic to the main issue it has a 13.75 x 15 prop on it going on a 14ft ski boat little shallow v hull. i have a tach and that so should be able to see but as a guess would a 14 x 17 be more suited to it?

Last edited:

have redone the carb float and working as should but fuel still coming out of top carb

The two videos are what it’s like at the moment.

Last edited:
been doing a google and the symptoms seem to be consistent with sticking or bad reed valves what do you think as its a bit of a job to redo?

Thank god for google, How else would you go off on a wild goose chase. Get new quality carb kits and rebuild your carbs. No matter ho much you adjust the float if the needle and seat are bad gonna keep leaking.

Already ordered rebuild see if it fixes so hopefully will stop it. But it does not seem to leak from the float I can’t blow into it when upside down I was thinking could be seals round pico is it tube for high revs.. will update should be here tomorrow. Reeds look ok anyway ��

this spitting from carbs seems to be a common thing and i don't think I've read a defiant answer or solution, but just an observation, when motor completely together with air silencer, there's a drain at bottom of silencer connected to intake manifold. maybe the the engineers at OMC put the drain there for this reason, my 2 87" 50hp spit and run fine. just say'n

Need to be clear.-----Is it fuel leaking out of a hole ?----Is it a fine mist coming out ?----Is it fuel splashing out?------You are aware of an oil recirculation system ?

in the two YouTube video's included in post #9, that's what I would call occasional mist or spitting, but would like to here from Nick0151

Need to be clear.-----Is it fuel leaking out of a hole ?----Is it a fine mist coming out ?----Is it fuel splashing out?------You are aware of an oil recirculation system ?

it doesn’t flow out even when I pump the fuel bulb it gets hard. When it’s running only at ideal it seems to fill up with fuel and leaks out of top carb down the other two the bottom carb is perfect the middle has a tiny about gut top is to much. No fine mist few spots every so often

Back