Logo

BF225 redline and max speed. 22 foot boat.

Seafarer226

Hello! I recently purchased a Grady white seafarer 226 with a single 2005 Honda 225 on it. Wide open with motor trimmed up I’m only able to get roughly 5200-5300 RPM out of it, roughly 41MPH give or take. This was with 2 people on the boat with minimal gear and a half tank of fuel. I’m reading that these engines do not make peak power until closer to 6000 RPM. Motor runs well. I do not think it’s a power issue, perhaps I need a re-prop? I don’t have the exact specs of the prop, but it is an OEM stainless Honda prop. 17 inch in diameter. I can update the post with exact prop specs tomorrow. Dry weight of the boat is around 2850 lbs without the motor, 22 foot boat. Any info/recommendations are welcomed!

Your motor should max out at 5500-6000 with the correct prop. Your prop will be a 17P , not diameter. It should be between 14 1/4 and 15 inch diameter. Try and find what diameter it is as a starting point. If you go to a propellor dealer with the current size and max RPM they should be able to advise correct propping.

Just to give you a comparison, I'm pushing a 25 ft. C-Hawk which weighs up to 6,000 lbs. when fully loaded with fuel, lots of fishing gear, and two adults. I'll get ~5800 rpms on a 14.5"(diameter) X 14"(pitch) SS three-blade Honda prop.

Like the other guys mentioned, your prop diameter is way too big. Assuming you got the boat used, whomever propped it they did it wrong. I've often thought a good business model would be to buy 200 or so props of various sizes and help owners dial in the exact size for their setup. Dealers sell props. Owners find the ones they need. I guessed when I repowered with 150's, and was 1/4" too large in diameter. Amazing how a 1/4" can make such a difference.
Go smaller and pitch around 17 should be about right. Never know til she's on the water and screaming.

There are several online sites that will help you find the proper pitch and diameter prop for your boat. Start with the Grady White website and Grady White forums and see what owners with similar boats are using.

I usually use a 141/4 diameter on 225s and adjust the pitch, I have found this diameter works very well despite many call for a 15" diameter. I recon you'll be good with a 141/4 x 17, you'll get close to your 6000rpm

BF250D , 24 foot boat all up weight about 4700 lb; prop is 14 3/4 diameter and 17 pitch ss 3 blade (S 3x14 3/4 x17R).
Rpm about 5800-6000 42 knots top speed.
The 19 inch prop worsened the hole shot , improved the top speed but dropped the w.o.t. Rpm .

And go stainless

Why stainless? Aluminum alloy no good? I realize stainless is stronger incase it hits anything there is a better chance of surviving intact. Just wondering why you suggest it. My current prop is stainless but I was considering swapping with aluminum if I do go after the 6000 RPM. Currently getting 5500 RPM. Not sure of pitch and diameter offhand.

Back