Logo

Need to replace flywheel in V8 5.7L 1989

Ewerhin

Hi guys

Just an "easy" question: I need to replace the flywheel in my 1989 OMC V8 5.7L 350, I removed the starter and checked flywheel tooth and half of them are heavily worn/broken. Question is do I need to pull out the engine for removing the flywheel cover, coupler and the flywheel? I'm sure the sterndrive should be removed, but don't know if there is any way to take off the flywheel cover and coupler without pulling off the entire engine.

Thanks!!!

Ayuh,..... The motor needs to be pulled,....

'n you don't need a flywheel, but just the ring gear, which is separate from the flywheel,.....
drive the old one off with a drift, cool the cleaned up flywheel, 'n heat the ring gear to 450/ 500*, 'n it'll fall into place,....

You may be able to get away with merely turning the ring gear over. If the inside of the teeth are good, turn it around and tap it back onto the flywheel.

You may be able to get away with merely turning the ring gear over. If the inside of the teeth are good, turn it around and tap it back onto the flywheel.
If going to the trouble of removing it, why bother tryna save a buck by using the old part? Chances are good the OP will have to drill and chisel split the old one anyway.

Back