Logo

Broken (Plastic) Oil Sump Plug - Yamaha 9.9 4 Stroke

Cornallster

Hi,

Yesterday I did a bit of a service including the gearbox oil, impeller, spark plugs and finally the 4 stroke oil. It was all going well until I tried to tighten the plastic oil sump screw/plug.

The plug snapped and was stuck in situ. I was gentle with it using only a hand spanner on it but it happened all the same. I then had great difficulty in removing the stuck piece of plastic in the hole. During the process of trying to get it out a reasonably large piece of the old plastic plug has become stuck inside the sump past the thread. It is still visible and I can grab it with long nose pliers but it is big enough to be impossible to get out.

I have a few questions relating to this. Firstly any tips into how to get it out? Also does anyone know where to source a replacement (I can’t seem to find the part)? Finally if I can’t get it out and the whole or part of it remains how detrimental is that going to be for my engine?

My engine is a 9.9HP High Thrust Yamaha (Model FT9.9AE).

57506BA8-BFBF-461F-A144-6FC5CF73E8D2.jpeg57506BA8-BFBF-461F-A144-6FC5CF73E8D2.jpeg

Any help with this is massively appreciated!

Thanks,

James

By spanner I presume that you are referring to what in the US is called a wrench. Bad idea. As you well know now.

To remove the remains of the drain plug the motor will have to be disassembled.

What is the ID for your specific motor?

I mean it can’t be done up or undone by hand so I used a small hand spanner/wrench but it’s irrelevant at this point. Obviously I overtightened it or maybe it was was old and brittle. Either way I am where I am right now. I still think I might be able to surgically remove it through the hole, I’m planning on using a long pair of needle nosed pliers and cutting the piece into two (with a chisel) then removing both pieces. I thought I could then flush the engine to try to rinse out any small pieces of plastic. If that doesn’t work though I will have to take it all apart to get to the sump, has anyone got any advice on how to do this?

Back