Logo

2008 F60TL restart after sitting for 7 years

06dvx

Hello all!!
I inherited a boat with a 2008 F60. It has sat for last 7 years in a garage on boat. I am looking to restart it for the first time. I have changed the engine oil and filter. I have changed the leg oil. I have changed the gas and fuel filter on back of engine after purging new gas all the way through the VST drain. My question is:
I am going to put oil in the cylinders and let sit over night and then roll the engine over by hand. I would then like to disconnect the coils and the electrical plugs to the injectors, then turn motor over on starter to build oil pressure and lubricate everything as best as possible. Then start up in driveway with muffs and confirm it runs and water pump is ok. Does anyone see any issues with my procedure? Yamaha outboards are new to me. Is this procedure overboard? I had an old honda utility motor that sat for ever and I went to just roll it over a few times but it started after 20 years first pull and scared the rings causing it to smoke still to this day. Dont want this to happen to this motor!! Thanks in advance guys!!

Sounds like you are on the right path.

In addition to muffs, I would also apply water at the garden hose fitting.

Sounds like you are on the right path.

In addition to muffs, I would also apply water at the garden hose fitting.

I was reading it is not a good idea to run the motor with water attached to the flush port and only to run it with muffs. Again I am new to yamaha outboards and maybe reading too much haha

You have gone to so much trouble I would do one more thing...
drop the leg and replace the water pump.
the impeller could be stuck from sitting so long.

Back