Logo

BF225 stuck in limp mode

Newkarian

Have a BF225 that wont rev over 1800 rpm last trip out. The boat is new to me this season and have had it on the water 5 trips without issue. Motor starts and runs perfectly with no issue. Last trip out we had a brief loss of power with buzzers and MIL lights illuminated. Checked oil and water/coolant and no issues to be seen. Let the boat idle for a few mins the. Shut her down to reset the buzzers. Boat operated as normal without further issue. Next trip out is where I have the issue not allowing over 1800rpm and appears stuck in limp mode. When I got back to home shunted the diagnostic port and pulled MIL code I believe 1, 4, 14. Was 1 short followed by 4 short then one long and 4 short. This appears it could be multiple issues related to ckp, spark plugs, IAT, etc based on the codes. Going to start by replacing the hp and lp fuel filters, ckp sensor, o2 sensor, spark plugs and see where that gets me. Also disconnected all electrical connections and everything appears good nothing corroded. My main issue is my boat was not wired with a kill switch so I can not do the normal procedure to reset the ecu. Is there another way other than having a honda diagnostic tool to reset? The motor runs perfectly other than the rpm being limited so it appears to be something simple just the annoying headache of no safety kill switch.

1800 limp is normally either overheat or low oil press. I have been through many O2 Sensors and I usually see high fuel consumption or alarm at idle. Dirty IAC Valve mesh will normally cause 02 Sensor alarm only at idle. Easy to clean but you may need the gasket, pull the IAC off and you will see immediately if the metal mesh is clogged, but this will not cause the limp mode.

Have a BF225 that wont rev over 1800 rpm last trip out. The boat is new to me this season and have had it on the water 5 trips without issue. Motor starts and runs perfectly with no issue. Last trip out we had a brief loss of power with buzzers and MIL lights illuminated. Checked oil and water/coolant and no issues to be seen. Let the boat idle for a few mins the. Shut her down to reset the buzzers. Boat operated as normal without further issue. Next trip out is where I have the issue not allowing over 1800rpm and appears stuck in limp mode. When I got back to home shunted the diagnostic port and pulled MIL code I believe 1, 4, 14. Was 1 short followed by 4 short then one long and 4 short. This appears it could be multiple issues related to ckp, spark plugs, IAT, etc based on the codes. Going to start by replacing the hp and lp fuel filters, ckp sensor, o2 sensor, spark plugs and see where that gets me. Also disconnected all electrical connections and everything appears good nothing corroded. My main issue is my boat was not wired with a kill switch so I can not do the normal procedure to reset the ecu. Is there another way other than having a honda diagnostic tool to reset? The motor runs perfectly other than the rpm being limited so it appears to be something simple just the annoying headache of no safety kill switch.
Hello, can you please share how you fixed your engine limp mode situation?

Back