Logo

BF75 shifting dilemma-suggestions

Pscm

I have an older BF75 that I picked up and brought back to life. One thing is bugging me related to shifting. I have the service manual and believe I followed it to a tee related to both the engine and remote rigging. When coming from forward to neutral I have to go ever so slightly over the gate towards reverse to get the shift lever to center into the switches and actually go into neutral. The shift cable is almost new. For grins, I tried adjusting the pivot out to see if I could get it to go. It got much better but still not quite there and by doing this, it mucks reverse up on the other end to create the same scenario. I took the plastic shift arm assy off the motor and took some of the play out of the shaft being that it was a bit sloppy. The shift shaft does not have any excessive movement. Just wondering if due to the age and plastic parts if all the little bit of wear here and there is adding up. Might also be a normal thing and I can live with it but it is bugging me.

Any thoughts?

It's worth pulling it down for cleaning and close inspection. A little wear hear and there is generally what happens. Thankfully, all of the internal parts for that control are available separately. It's a sturdy control, but it is possible to wear out some of the parts.

I forgot to mention that my boat had a different remote control and it did the same thing so I swapped it out with the Honda remote I got with the engine. I suppose the chances are slim it is a remote issue but one never knows.

Is there any slop in the cables/linkage that lead around the front of the motor?

Does motor side seem to shift smoothly with the cable leading forward disconnected?

There is a small bit of play in linkage but I would no consider it much. The cable is only a few years old and not many hours. There is some hysteresis in the cable but Honda service manual has you deal with that. Once again I wouldn’t consider the hysteresis excessive but this is the one thing that would cause the problem if it was too excessive.

Back