Logo

BF 225 impeller issues

A little back story first: Honda BF 225 has 181 hours. the tell tail pee hole stopped working and received an over heating alert. Took apart the lower foot and inspected the impeller to find that the woodruff key had spun. Upon inspection it was curved. The last impeller was changed at 91 hours. I am not sure if the woodruff key was replaced at 91 hours.

Replaced the impeller and woodruff key. Tested the motor with muffs and worked great. Put approximately 9 hours on the motor on the lake. Went for a ride today and ran it full speed for the first time since replacing the impeller. tell tail stopped working and received the same over heating alert.

In both cases I have flushed the motor for 10 minutes and when flushing, the tell tail runs without issues

I have not taken apart the lower foot yet for inspection. What could be causing the issued if the woodruff key spun again or any other advice do you have?

Last edited:
I don't know for sure what would cause that. If I were in your place, I would change out the entire water pump this time. In the process, check the mid-shaft bushing for looseness or deformation. Check the vertical shaft for excessive play.

Here is a link about the mid-shaft bushing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44ZaDzNck1I

Back