Logo

Honda 115 no oil pressure/ oil pick up broken

Espo_Honda

Hi everyone,
I have a 115 with no oil pressure. took it apart and the oil pick up has broken off. Any input as to what could cause this. as i have done this once about 100 hrs ago. Tried contacting Honda and they have been no help.

Hi Espo,
Is your outboard a "D" model with the oil strainer held by 2 bolts and no other support?

If so, a repeat failure of the pickup tube might indicate a problem with the balancer shaft assembly.

I don't know that for sure. I haven't worked on one of these. So when I say it MIGHT be the reason it doesn't mean that it is what is actually happening. It could just be a case of a defective replacement part.

But an engine that uses balancer shafts can produce harmonic vibrations that can be destructive to the engine internals. So, if you have noticed any "unusual" vibrations or any characteristics of how the engine runs that were not there previously, you might consider that a balance shaft issue is starting to occur.

Symptoms other than vibration might be poor idle, hesitation, misfire or stalling.

Sorry to cast such a dark cloud. I hope that it's just a bad replacement tube.

Good luck.

Back