Logo

2006 Tohatsu 30hp EFI - no electric to fuel pump

oceanblue

Hi,
I’ve got a 2006 Tohatsu 30hp EFI outboard (similar to Mercury). It’s cranking over but not firing. I’ve managed to trace the problem to no power being supplied to the fuel pump in the VST. The VST is filling with fuel and I wired a battery to the pins in the connector that leads to the electric fuel pump in the VST. It’s pumping fuel ok.
I suspect the wires come straight from the ECU, but am not certain.
I’m not too bad with mechanicals, but struggle with electrics. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks – Graham

Update - I eventually confirmed it was a bad ECU by loaning an ECU from someone with a Mercury 30hp (similar outboard) & it ran fine with it on. Due to the age of my outboard I discounted buying a new ECU and I looked into ECU repair & searched for a used ECU. But, I came across a post on another forum where an outboard had similar problems & followed their fix.

[FONT=&quot]I ground the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]negative wire (blue/black) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]from the fuel pump to the engine casing instead of back to the ECU which relied on the ECU ground. The outboard now runs fine.

Basically there is a problem within the ECU which is stopping it grounding but it can be bypassed.
[/FONT]

Back