Logo

Johnson 4 hp 1980's short?

crankshaft

Contributing Member
I had this outboard running but not quite right and hard to start so I cleaned the carb. All the other usual suspects are fine, good spark, fuel delivery etc. I even put gas in the spark plug holes and carb, but will not fire it seems. Never had this much of a gremlin/any ideas. Can a short happen and the plugs not fire? Have never seen much written on this.

Does the spark jump a gap of 5/16" on a test device ?----If it will not bark with fuel put in cylinders you have ignition issues.-----No spark or spark at the wrong time.-----Model # or picture of your motor needed.

Sorry it took me a while to get back here. Yes, The spark is at least 5/16 and very strong, bright and I can even hear the snap. That is what bothers me as I have even tried starting fluid and WD40 and still no start. I am even using a drill to get high flywheel rpm and nothing. Thought I might have had the plug wires crossed to the wrong plug, but that's not it either. This is weird and why I am wondering of some kind of short is possible when the flywheel turns and the fuel is not igniting.

When I took the outboard out of the test barrel, I noticed that the leg was really fouled with oil and exhaust. I used a pick to pick at the 8 small exhaust and water outlets. IT was hard to get the pick in there. Think the holes may be plugged with old hard exhaust as this motor sat for years. Anyone ever heard of this type of thing?

Back