Logo

Planning new escape hatch w/ walkthough windshield

TheBrain

Regular Contributor
Planning new escape hatch w/ walkthough windshield

My orginale escape hatch is a tad small an I have to contort my body to sqeeze though.

I really like to have a bow door w/ a hatch builtin.

Concidering a ski boat walk though windshield, then cut a hatch above it, imitating the lifeboat attached police vessel, then line the new hatch w/ top & bottom lip to prevent water intrusion.

do ski boat windshields have a air gap underneath the center section? Or is there a water seal under this section to keep water from entering?

I’d really like to walk from helm to bow though a door hatch.

Currently I have to walk backward out the cabin then climb up on to slippery gunnel hold onto roof grab rail to get to bow,kindof inconvenient.

Ideally I’d like a windshield w/ a hatch builtin see attached image white fiberglass vessel.

Plan B would be to imitate the lifeproof vessels hatch above the windshield door.

I would prefer to find a donor vessel that has a door/hatch that I could graft on.van side door sfety windows would fit hieht wise on each side of door.

My orginale windshield is like 70”wide x 19.5” height 2nd lower deck is like 3’ deep.
I don't expect a prefect fit the used windshield thats available is a tad smaller 63"width x 14" hieght
this would require conciderable fabbing flanges to attach ski windshield.

I also expect to be able to see though the lower windshield as it currently is.

I've concidered relocating the lower windshields center post then making another post
and ading a center swing out piece preferablley glass but will use alunimin if nessasary.unforchantly the orginale glass can't be cut w/ this plan.

acess to bow is main objective, I'm also hoping for less wind resistanse while towing byopening bow and cabin doors.

yes I've concidered inlarging the orginal hatch but would prefer a door/hatch.

What do you Guys think, open to advice and suggestions Thanks.

Attachments

• hatch an windshield conv.jpg
    hatch an windshield conv.jpg
    573.4 KB · Views: 25
  • hatch  door1.jpg
    hatch door1.jpg
    540.4 KB · Views: 26
  • hatch an door.jpg
    hatch an door.jpg
    463.5 KB · Views: 24
  • windshield.jpg
    windshield.jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Ayuh,.... If you do as you state, yer takin' most of the forward hull support away, 'n catastrophic failure would be likely in big seas,.....
'n if you open it up while towin',.... everything in the cabin will be blown outa the boat,....

Ayuh,.... If you do as you state, yer takin' most of the forward hull support away, 'n catastrophic failure would be likely in big seas,.....
'n if you open it up while towin',.... everything in the cabin will be blown outa the boat,....
actuelly most of the surport for this section is a wooden frame under the bow skin. I attach image of part of the frame work, woodedn bulkhead laterale surport.
I have a image of under the bow skin will have to find it. the alu.lower deck won't be cut much, it's like close to 3' was only planning to cut maybe 1/3 of it see red line side view. the windshield is major surport. yes w/ walk though opened it will be weakened.

the bows lower surport is storage bins on each side just behind cabins bow decking. cabin wall acts as a bulkhead.
I'm lowering may just replace a good part of this cabin decking w/ a lateral surport bins image from open vessel.
thanks for suggestions opion any constructive critizism.
when towing most stuff isn't loose it's either in a bin/water proof bag or secured if there happens to be anything loose it'll go in tow vehicle. I learned to never leave stuff lieing around on deck when that first cooler went flying I could never find where it landed. plan B open bow then just leave cabins door closed & open the windows that are screened.

edit: notice the windshields lower & upper frame that will stay as outside lateral surpot 2nd windshield will be ontop of orginale windshield & leaned more straight up & down.

Attachments

• new frnt side view.jpg
    new frnt side view.jpg
    729.1 KB · Views: 23
  • bow redo1.jpg
    bow redo1.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 6a856318c6a6d195bdbe93626ca7b4db.jpg
    6a856318c6a6d195bdbe93626ca7b4db.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Back