Logo

Evinrude 15hp fuel pump rebuild - Chinese core?

pilot1950

Gents,

I have a 1988 Evinrude 15hp. Someone previously had installed a Chinese knock-off fuel pump on the motor. Cold, it would start / run fine. Run across the lake. After shut-down / fishing, restart would be a little tougher. third and fourth restart got progressively tougher. Upon examination, plugs were always very wet. Change plugs, problem went away on first start, but would then repeat the cycle. To shorten this up, I borrowed a factory fuel pump from a friend, installed it and all the problems went away. Motor runs great - idle - mid speed and high speed. I have read that these pumps were prone to fail, sometimes fairly quickly due to poor materials in the diaphragms. Two different local OB mechanics also seem to have had the same experiences with these knock-offs.

So my question. Is the chinese knock-off core a good candidate to be used for a pump rebuild using OEM parts? Or, do I need to shop around for an OEM pump to rebuild? New OEM pumps seem to be quite pricey and I have no problem doing the rebuild work.

I had a related issue a year ago. I rebuilt a carb on another similar motor with a Chinese based carb kit. Within a fairly short time, the gaskets had swollen and rendered the carb un-usable. This was the newer style 3 piece / plastic top / bottom carb. Installed a Sierra kit and problem solved. I'm making a correlation guess that the current problem is also a material issue within the pump.

Back