Logo

2000 F80 TLRY four stroke Has rough idle

I have a F80 TLRY that I had no issues at all with. I was running it the other day and the motor started to smoke. Further looking into it at home I found that the positive battery connection was real loose and the rectifier/voltage regulater Melted the wires on it. I changed it with a used one the was I bought from a parts place on Ebay off a 100 hp. The plug ins were the same on both rectifiers, although (the new one had the plug, red wire, black wire and bolted right up to block). The old rectifier had a plug in, red wire, black wire and ( blue wire that was not used ), athough they said it was the same number as far as compatability. After I* changed the rectifier my boat does not idle in gear very good like a low rpm around 500 rpms. I can put it in gear and throttle up fast and it runs like atop. But it chuggs at slow trolling speed around 2.8mph etc. Before It happened I could use the motor to troll at around 2.2 mph with no problems. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank all..

So I put on an original OEM Rectifier/voltage regulator. Runs better but after it warms up it Idles slow at 400 rpms. I think it should be at 650-700 rpms. Why this is I dont know. Any help is appreciated. Other than that it runs great but a pain when loading the boat up. There is an electric round valve on throttle linkage that has a pink and I believe gray wire on it and I dont know if this had an electric surge and did something inside it or what. Dont know if it controls the idle or not. Thank you

2000 F80 would bee a carbureted engine I'm thinking.
Did you try cleaning the carbs ?
Yes sir, and the Fuel filter has been done. Didnt start until I took off the linkages during the replacement of the Rectifier. Like its idling at 400 rpms and if I speed it up to load the boat to like 700 rpms it runs great. If the idle didnt get down low it runs like a new motor.

Back