Logo

Won't Start, turnsover

sab

Regular Contributor
2004 350 MAG #0W010098

There’s a thread below where the engine would stall.

Today, because the plugs were old, I changed the plugs, one at a time, now it won’t start, Yes I rechecked the boots and finger felt. I use dielectric grease on the plug porcelain. I don’t think that the problem.

I’ll check for a spark with a tester. If I don’t see a spark, I’ll pull a plug and ground on a manifold

Next I’ll dump content of fuel filter but I just filled it up.

I guess I have to learn how to check fuel pressure on the rail

No spark

I used good quality in-line tester and I pulled a plug and did my best the ground it to the [painted] manifold... nothing. That should of made a noise with the new plugs. I did find a rust spot on manifold for a ground too

Cap/wires are old 2017 but minimal Lake hours ( I know that doesn't matter). Coil?

Last edited:
use the tester on the coil...if that works, sounds like a cap or rotor...pretty sure you have the HVS 'crab cap'...and they are known to have finite lifetimes...if you replace it, use one of the OEM parts as the bulk of the aftermarket ones have shorter lifespans...

Agree. Yes the crap cap. OEM Cap and rotor and screws. I didn’t get a spark from the coil and I grounded it to the battery. The coil wire to the cap has cap connector, so I tried to wedge something up to test. The coil is 20 years old so it might be a good thing to replace. If I know how... Boats in the water. Thanks

Another question. Length of time for a spark OEM ignition wire set change? Is there Rule?
For me its s not the hours (FW) it’s the length of time (winter/summer). 5 years? 8 years? Every other tune up? It’s a bit of a PIA.

could be the coil but I would verify the primary system is pulsing....last time I checked, those coils were EXPENSIVE....

On the wires, with low usage and proper installation, I'd think you should easily see a decade...

arbc504601_1

Back