Logo

Looking for any info on mercury 9.8 serial number 7196451

Harleyboy321

Looking for any info to get me started on learning about this motor I just bought.
Its a Mercury 9.8 with serial number 7196451.
Cover says Thunderbolt Ignition.
I have a Seloc 1965-89 repair manual but the serial number isn't listed in it.
I am not sure which Ignition it has as the year is required for Identification.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
P.s. when I purchased this motor 5 years ago ( been in storage) The gentleman who sold it to me had it set up on his front lawn in a 45 gallon drum of water. It started on second pull.
Water was comming out the discharge area as it should. Engine did not smoke and seemed to run smoothly. He placed it in forward, neutral and reverse and all seemed well. I would just like to know as much as I can about this motor for maintenance purposes, oils, gaps, lubrication, oil gas ratio yada yada.

Last edited:
I believe it is a Canadian serial # and marketed in 1983.-----Install a new impeller before launching the boat.-----I could rebuild it without glancing at a manual.-----But I suggest you find an owners manual as I can not type every thing I know about them here.-----Have a number of these 9.8 models rebuilt and for parts.

Seloc manuals do have a lot of information.------The motor is a 1983 model and you say the manual covers 1965-89.-----So I think 1983 is in there !-----There is no difference between an American / Canadian motor except for the serial # numbers !!

Back